New Short Beethoven Piece Gets Its Première...on Radio 4!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Sep 2024

New Short Beethoven Piece Gets Its Première...on Radio 4!

A short organ harmonisation for Gregorian chant 'Pange Lingua' discovered in LvB's notebooks by Professor Barry Cooper received it's première performance at the University of Manchester this afternoon.

The performers, led by Cooper, performed the piece again live on Radio 4's PM, followed by the most wince-inducing, cretinous interview by some half-wit calling himself Colin Patterson. The fatuous questions and imbecilic fluff killed what was, for me, a very moving two minutes and 15 seconds. I shall be writing to complain to Radio 4/PM about this. Execrable programme that has to reduce everything to cheap risibility.

You can scroll through PM on iPlayer here to listen to the piece: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nkw1t (It's not up as yet)

You can read more about the discovery c/o the Univ. of Manchester here: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/...splay/?id=8918
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

It may (may!) have been better on In Tune with Sean Fafferty, just before 6pm I think it was...
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

"Dear PM

Kudos to you for the première of the latest Beethoven discovery. A very moving experience listening to this, which was immediately undermined by the fatuous interview that followed. I dared to dream that 'PM' was about to allow a bit of high seriousness into the programme, a chance to experience the numinous, the sublime at five o'clock in the afternoon.

Alas, Colin Patterson was to shatter such fragile hopes. Fatuousness and cheap attempts at comedy followed care of this most imbecilic of interviewers, whose risible badinage cheapened what should have been a special moment for anyone with ears that work. Professor Cooper showed admirable restraint to neither punch nor insult this buffoon.

How about sending someone who actually knows about Beethoven and cares about music to ask sensible questions next time.

Yours in high dudgeon

Dr. Thropplenoggin"

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
        It may (may!) have been better on In Tune with Sean Fafferty, just before 6pm I think it was...
        I shall go back and listen. I expect than even the Faff-meister couldn't have killed the vibe the way 'PM' did.

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
          . . . some half-wit calling himself Colin Patterson. . .
          I wonder, could it have been this CP? : Colin Paterson (born c.1974) is a Scottish journalist and broadcaster who is currently the entertainment correspondent on BBC Radio 5 Live and was a presenter and reporter on BBC Three's Liquid News (Wiki)
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Paterson appears to be an utter idiot, a complete BBC insider house luvvie clot, whose sole job is to toady to the commercially successful in film and pop music.

Plus he has, pretty much, the easiest job in the world.

i find him exceptionally annoying, although there are others as bad at the BBC.
            my license fee pays his no doubt fat salary. I may de -license as a result.

and since we are on the subject, my license fee apparently now wont cover the cost of a piece of printed paper and a second class stamp to tell me that i am in for £12.50 a month for the next year, thanks very much.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Pedant's corner. "Licence" as a noun is spelt with a "c", but as a verb, it is spelt with an "s" - as with "practice/practise".

However, in the USA, it's always "license" and "practice". Not much consistency over there.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Would you believe me if i said it was a tpyo?
                Just for form's sake, is the hyphon wrong also?

Anyway, more fun, say something rude about paterson(deliberate no capital).

And you know what annoys me, EA? Bloody BBC..... Mrs TS, and an army of other dedicated teachers spend forever trying to get kids to use capital letters etc, then the BBC do their names in the credits in all lower case .(I know they don't always....)
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                  the most wince-inducing, cretinous interview by some half-wit ... The fatuous questions and imbecilic fluff ....cheap risibility.
                  There's a lot of it about on the airwaves...
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Northender

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    Would you believe me if i said it was a tpyo?
                    Just for form's sake, is the hyphon wrong also?

Anyway, more fun, say something rude about paterson(deliberate no capital).

And you know what annoys me, EA? Bloody BBC..... Mrs TS, and an army of other dedicated teachers spend forever trying to get kids to use capital letters etc, then the BBC do their names in the credits in all lower case .(I know they don't always....)
                    Afraid so - it's hyphen.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

so it is...that one really was a tpyo...i have form on that too !!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Oh, they're just trying to be cool - ageing hippy-style. Rather sad.
                        The new publisher of Asterix books annoys me too. All the speech bubbles use capital letters, as is the norm - apart from the letter "i".
                        So you have: "OBELiX, where are you?" "i'M here ASTERiX". Idiotic. I wrote to the publishers to complain, entirely in lower case, apart from the letter "E", which I wrote in capitals throughout, just to make the point. They didn't reply.

Comment

• Northender

so it is...that one really was a tpyo...i have form on that too !!
                          Not too wurry, old chap - anybody's figner can slop.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

As long as the meaning is understood.....is the main thing...sure you agree:

Comment

Working...
                            X