• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arthroceph
    • Oct 2012

avant-garde music in Heimat 2

Hi!

I wanted to asked members of the forum if anybody remembers parts of Reisz's Heimat 2 where the village sits down in the local hall to listen to a broadcast of one of the sons' of the villages music piece.

It's a pretty demanding piece of avant-garde and slowly the small hall starts to empty, until there is only one person left: the village idiot. He listens to it in fascination, and says something like "birds!" or - something like that - evidently enjoying what he hears. I occasionally get moments like that (ehem, I'm referring to suddenly recognising things in avant-garde music, not being the village idiot bit).

I think it's a great scene, and if anybody remembers it it would be nice to hear their impressions. Cheers.
  • Anna

Well, I certainly remember Heimat (which series I don't recall) and, as it's only a memory of being totally transfixed cannot help with the music. I've often thought I'd like to see it again, to see why I was transfixed, but the cost of dvds is far too high. It's one of those things, like Das Boot, which you always say you'll return to, but never do.
    I hope someone can help you. A recent film, White Ribbon, by Michael Haneke. also made a deeply uneasy impression on me.

Comment

• arthroceph
      • Oct 2012

Hi Anna thanks.

I tried looking it up in youtube, and there are clips of Heimat there, but not that one (although I may give it another go). Not sure if you're actually recommending "white Ribbon" there ... a bit ambivalent.

Just a note to the Moderators, this post probably should have gone into the "Hear And Now" as it the main theme is modern music and reactions to it .. sorry, I'm new here.

Comment

• Anna

Hi, arthoceph. No, I am not recommending any of Haneke's films, I do not like him at all for his brutality. I will not say further than that, but White Ribbon did remind me so much of Heimat, but it's not easy viewing.
        I'm sure someone will come along re the Heimat music!! There are really knowledgeable people here.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Where is Roehre? He would know the answer to this!

I recall Heimat with great affection but I think that was series 1 which was shown on BBC2 in Friday nights. Would love to see it again si will investigate the DVD set.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Lengthy (!) article on the Heimat 2 music here:
            (www.heimat123.net/music.html)

Comment

• arthroceph
              • Oct 2012

Hi thanks for the contributions. I'd better also correct the director's name, it was Reitz, Edgar not Reisz, Karel, who was a different director altogether.

Comment

Working...
              X