• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

25th October 1415

The Battle of Agincourt 25th October 1415

"This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
    He that outlives this day, and see old age,
    Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
    And say 'Tomorrow is St Crispian'
    The he will strip his sleeve and show his scars,
    And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day'

Well, I checked my recent knee replacement scar, but decided that it wasn't really a battle wound, so I decided instead to listen to Laurence Olivier's old ( 1947) of speeches from Henry V with Walton's marvellous music, and tonight we'll watch the film on a nice new Blue Ray DVD

This seems to me to be one example of film music that works without the images as a suite. Apparently Walton started composing it before he had seen a foot of the film.

So, what other examples of film music really meet that criterion?

Once more into the breech, dear friends !
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

A couple for me would be Prokofiev's music for Alexander Nevsky and Herrmann's music for Vertigo (though both are brilliant accompaniments to the films).

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
      The Battle of Agincourt 25th October 1415

"This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
      He that outlives this day, and see old age,
      Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
      And say 'Tomorrow is St Crispian'
      The he will strip his sleeve and show his scars,
      And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day'

Well, I checked my recent knee replacement scar, but decided that it wasn't really a battle wound, so I decided instead to listen to Laurence Olivier's old ( 1947) of speeches from Henry V with Walton's marvellous music, and tonight we'll watch the film on a nice new Blue Ray DVD

This seems to me to be one example of film music that works without the images as a suite. Apparently Walton started composing it before he had seen a foot of the film.

So, what other examples of film music really meet that criterion?

Once more into the breech, dear friends !

Isn't that the film with Walton's music and the wonderful arrows scene ? I have an old Video somewhere

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

this undoubtedly raised the quality of the film and stands alone as a suite, the Duke

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

.... and of course

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
            Isn't that the film with Walton's music and the wonderful arrows scene ? I have an old Video somewhere
            Yes, Salymap, it is. The battle was filmed in Ireland during 1944 on the Powerscourt estate in County Wicklow, it's a beautiful spot. Money was tight, so they persuaded local farmers to bring their horses, and the chain mail was knitted string! Amongst other things, this film has the most beautiful use of technicolor. Of course, it's a very patriotic take on the play, and is heavily cut, without showing scenes like the killing of the French prisoners, but never mind, it can still stir us.

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
              Yes, Salymap, it is. The battle was filmed in Ireland during 1944 on the Powerscourt estate in County Wicklow, it's a beautiful spot. Money was tight, so they persuaded local farmers to bring their horses, and the chain mail was knitted string! Amongst other things, this film has the most beautiful use of technicolor. Of course, it's a very patriotic take on the play, and is heavily cut, without showing scenes like the killing of the French prisoners, but never mind, it can still stir us.
              Thanks Ferret. My awful memory. I have an 8 DVD box of J Arthur Rank films, including Henry V. I shall join you either tonight or tomoorow in watching it. Hope the knee is working well

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

What about the music for North by North West? Herrmann I think.

Comment

• amateur51

Brilliant Bernie indeed, salymap

The theme for Alfred Hitchcock's "North by Northwest" (1959).

Comment

• secret squirrel

On a teeny-weeny point of order, please don't forget that the "Once more unto the Breach" speech [Act III Scene 1] was made at the siege of Harfleur and not at Agincourt...

That said, yes, "Happy Agincourt Day" (especially if you're French, coming as it does four days after 'Trafalgar Day' ).

And yes again 'squared' re the music!

SS
                    Last edited by Guest; 25-10-12, 18:45. Reason: clarification, typos and after reference to the play!

Comment

• arthroceph
                      • Oct 2012

I'm not going to weigh in on this one, though I would if the criterion were
                      "film music that only works without the images as a suite"

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                        • Nov 2010

Teeny weeny point of order duly taken! Actually the Olivier film greatly reduces the Harfleur scenes, making Henry rather more magnanimous than he is in the play.
                        I also forgot to mention that October 25th is also the anniversary of the battle of Balaclava, and also the 1944 battle of Leyte Gulf in the Pacific campaign.

Comment

• Northender

Absolutely! My favourite Hitchcock film, and what a score!

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                            Absolutely! My favourite Hitchcock film, and what a score!
                            I think it's my favourite Hitchcock too, although there are some brilliant ones amongst them. I rather like the Bristol boy, Cary Grant, every film of his is fab except one where he played a Cockney and 'danced'.

Alright Ferret, shall watch Henry V later.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                              • May 2011

I think it's my favourite Hitchcock too, although there are some brilliant ones amongst them. I rather like the Bristol boy, Cary Grant, every film of his is fab except one where he played a Cockney and 'danced'.

Alright Ferret, shall watch Henry V later.
                              Cary Grant was also Hitch's favourite leading man (well, he actually tied for that honour with Jimmy Stewart - four films each). Ingrid Bergman and Grace Kelly also tied for the female honours (three each).
                              Last edited by Pabmusic; 26-10-12, 12:15.

Comment

Working...
                              X