X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tony Halstead
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
    Absolutely love AAM/Hogwood/Schroder's Mozart symphonies, waldhorn. Did you play on them?

Love Beecham's too!
    NO, sorry to say..

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

How much are we missing in these PC-HIP days?
      Oo-er! "PC" and "HIP" - two acronyms designed to cause industrial-scale splutterings of outrage individually: a bit explosive putting them next to each other, veris!

Put the question the other way round: in 1971, when Leppard recorded his realization, what were they missing? Recordings and performances of the complete Bach cantatas; the complete Handel operas and oratorios; the complete works of Purcell and Monteverdi and Schutz and Byrd and Tallis; Biber; Zelenka; Hidegard of Bingen ...

All the result of those lovely HIPP swivellers and their joyful Music-making. We're tons better off these days it seems to me.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• aeolium
        • Nov 2010

That's true, fhg, but don't you think Leppard deserves some credit for actually bringing some of these works to the attention of a new audience (even if in some cases in 'realisations')? The Monteverdi Poppea, Cavalli La Calisto, Rameau Dardanus, Ariodante - were these works widely known (especially in the UK) before his performances?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
          That's true, fhg, but don't you think Leppard deserves some credit for actually bringing some of these works to the attention of a new audience (even if in some cases in 'realisations')?
          Oh, yes, and more than just a little credit (that's why I didn't put the word in inverted commas when I used it)! Like vinty, I'm very fond of Leppard's recordings (Janet Baker, for goodness' sake - what's not to adore?! ). I was more concerned by the suggestion in the OP that today's HIPP Musicians are Puritanical killjoys spoiling other people's simple pleasures. If anything, I think it is demonstrable that the Musical world is richer and even more enjoyable nowadays thanks to their efforts and activities.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            .. I was more concerned by the suggestion in the OP that today's HIPP Musicians are Puritanical killjoys spoiling other people's simple pleasures...
            Perhaps I was thinking of the time (just a few years ago) that I suggested to one of our top HIP bands that they might invite RL to conduct.

Much laughter...

I certainly think he prepared the way, as indeed did Beecham in an earlier generation.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
              • Nov 2010

Perhaps I was thinking of the time (just a few years ago) that I suggested to one of our top HIP bands that they might invite RL to conduct.

Much laughter...

I certainly think he prepared the way, as indeed did Beecham in an earlier generation.
              Come to think of it, is Raymond Leppard still with us?
              Last I heard of him, he had returned to live back in the UK after many years in the USA.

Comment

• John Shelton

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
                Come to think of it, is Raymond Leppard still with us?
                He has a website http://www.raymondleppard.co/

Comment

Working...
                X