• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
    By the way, have you seen the new "Ring"? It's a really breathtaking and enormous object, the size of the old LP monster box of the whole cycle (so I, for one, can actually read the librettos...), and quite amazingly handsome, with Culshaw's book and Deryck Cooke's introduction printed in full, Humphrey Burton's "making of" BBC film, and various other goodies included. It's the most gorgeous thing, and even though it's certainly not a bargain, it's never sounded better either. If I hadn't got it already, it would certainly be one for the Christmas list!
    There's a review of this in December's IRR. I wonder whether an opportunity was missed to include the score as well. I recall a CD ROM being issued a few years ago, containing the complete Solti Ring with the vocal score on screen.

Comment

• makropulos
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      There's a review of this in December's IRR. I wonder whether an opportunity was missed to include the score as well. I recall a CD ROM being issued a few years ago, containing the complete Solti Ring with the vocal score on screen.
      Possibly, but the scores are really so easily available from imslp - in other words I wouldn't say that an opportunity was "missed" so much as not taken since it's not really necessary these days with imslp which not only has full scores but also vocal scores with either/both German and English texts.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
        Possibly, but the scores are really so easily available from imslp - in other words I wouldn't say that an opportunity was "missed" so much as not taken since it's not really necessary these days with imslp which not only has full scores but also vocal scores with either/both German and English texts.
        From a practical point of view, the IMSLP scores are not the easiest things to read on screen, and as for printing off the the entire Ring... The Dover Scores are just perfect. I just think this would have been a useful addition to a beautifully prepared set - which I want, by the way, but don't need

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          From a practical point of view, the IMSLP scores are not the easiest things to read on screen, and as for printing off the the entire Ring... The Dover Scores are just perfect.
          I think makro's suggestion was to follow the online scores whilst listening to the CDs, rather than printing them off (, indeed; printer ink alone would cost more than the new set!)? This would certainly be easier on the knees than the (I agree excellent) Dover scores - which, I believe are from the same source as the IMSLPs.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• makropulos
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            I think makro's suggestion was to follow the online scores whilst listening to the CDs, rather than printing them off (, indeed; printer ink alone would cost more than the new set!)? This would certainly be easier on the knees than the (I agree excellent) Dover scores - which, I believe are from the same source as the IMSLPs.
            Thanks ferney - you're dead right. Following the online scores on screen was exactly what I meant.

And yes, the sources for Dover and imslp are the same (the original Schott full scores for Rheingold, Siegfried and Götterdämmerung; Walküre from a slightly later Peters score).

I usually follow the Ring from hard copy. In Paris a few years ago I found (and could not resist) a deluxe set of some very early Schott study scores bound in cream and gold silk bindings, with the scores printed on hand-made paper, in one act per volume, so relatively light on the knees! It was an extravagance for sure, but I haven't ever regretted it.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

My first Wagner opera score was Die Meistersinger (Eulenburg) - so small in format that the music had to printed sideways in a double landscape format whenever it was heavily scored. A nightmare to follow.

Comment

Working...
              X