X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

well speaking as an effing pleb i completely concur with the gist of the article i linked to above ....
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Well she's now 31
      Actually 32 since her birthday is in June. A bit late to be starting on an operatic career. Hard to fit in with a daytime job.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Actually 32 since her birthday is in June. A bit late to be starting on an operatic career. Hard to fit in with a daytime job.
        Cheers french frank

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
          What really got me angry was the comments on the article on the website, accusing those trying defend classical music from such drivel, as being snobbish and elitist. Those of us who really care about classical music have a right to defend the music we love from this repulsive and sickening downgrading. I wonder how many of those crying elitism would react if the music they loved was treated in the same manner. I bet they'd be just as outraged and protesting, but of course that wouldn't be regarded as elitist then I bet!
          I think people who have a deep love of quality popular music , of various types, do have the same sort of thing inflicted upon them, and feel how most on these boards do about the classical brits.
          Sorry if i missed the point there ! Meant in a heartfelt way !
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
            • Nov 2010

Basically I was mentioning that when classical music lovers defend their music they are regarded as snobs and eltist, yet when quality real quality popular music, jazz, folk etc are defended this never seems to be considered elitist. Yes I agree that no musical genre should be made to suffer the sickening downgrading that has infected the commercial classical music world. The more other genres of music are also affected the worse the outlook for quality music of all genres generally.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
              Basically I was mentioning that when classical music lovers defend their music they are regarded as snobs and eltist, yet when quality real quality popular music, jazz, folk etc are defended this never seems to be considered elitist. Yes I agree that no musical genre should be made to suffer the sickening downgrading that has infected the commercial classical music world. The more other genres of music are also affected the worse the outlook for quality music of all genres generally.
              I was really just responding from the heart SC. I agree with you, although of course that "elitist tag " does get applied to those who look for and speak for quality in other genres.
              its not elitist to care. It is elitist to try to keep things to a small group, which incidentally is, or used to be a big failing in(some) lovers of quality popular music. get too near the top 40 and......
              Not sure what I am saying now. Just have always wanted to see quality shine through,(from Joy Division to Bruckner) and the manufactured hyped rubbish sink. Which is why, in part, I have come to where I am ...seeking the quality and other (real) peoples help in finding it.

Actually, anybody crying "elitism" re criticism of the Classical Brits is surely just an idiot ?!

I hope to win "muddled post of the day" for this !
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                Classic FM have never done true classical music any justice! Katherine Jenkins has said that she is an opera singer! Has she been in any productions at ROH Covent Garden or even ENO? I think not! Rusell Watson, Alfie Boe, GAWD!!!!
                Alfie Boe is actually a well-trained singer who dumbs down (with interest and surtax).

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

Recession.....what recession....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19901386
                  bong ching

Comment

• John Shelton

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                    "... classical recording artist." Perhaps it's a one-way ticket and no one has told her?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Sarah Brightman is to "Classical" what Jedward is to Progrock.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        Sarah Brightman is to "Classical" what Jedward is to Progrock.

what George Formby is to HIPP?

I should point out that I am a great admirer of George and HIPP - but not together
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-10-12, 19:02. Reason: sorting

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                          • Nov 2010

HIPP is that one of those mis-sold banking loans....I'm at a loss me'Lud, is it one of those beat combos....
                          bong ching

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                            HIPP is that one of those mis-sold banking loans....I'm at a loss me'Lud, is it one of those beat combos....

what a shame that is wasn't just a case of a misplaced or over enthusiasm for cat gut strings and a distate for vibrato, but involved powerful banks ripping people off AGAIN.

Comment

• gingerjon
                              • Sep 2011

And a response to that
                              The best music is the music that persuades us there is no other music in the world-- Alex Ross

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

And reading the Chris Gillett piece I feel more sad than angry. Commercial promotion, advertising, glamour raise people up to undeserved artistic status. It's the agents, managers and the whole publicity circus that are the real villains: the victims are the self-deluded - and very rich - individuals on whom all the celebrity falls.

Genuine criticism is out of favour, replaced by hype which is good enough for the general public who fork out the money. And the BBC which used to know better no longer does. The puppet-masters control them too.
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X