• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mathias broucek
    • Nov 2010

Random pianos

In London from time to time random pianos can be found in unexpected places

There's one at St Pancras and yesterday someone was playing the fugal finale of Beethoven's Op110 sonata (my favourite). I would have loved to have stopped to listen but would have been late for a fairly important meeting.

Another time there was one outside the Museum of London and someone was bashing out the opening of Carmina Burana on it.

I don't generally like busking (unreasonable of me, but it's an instinct rather than an opinion) but was taken by both these experiences.

Anyone had anything similar happen?
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

There have been pianos for people to play in Leeds around the time of the International Piano Competition, and there was a ramshackle on in Sheffield some time ago.

On the general question of busking, I don't mind it, as long as there's no amplification.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

I mentioned on another thread about the one I heard in the unlikely acoustic of St Pancras on August 19. A tall, bearded and bespectacled thirty-something guy was playing Beethoven and Schubert to an appreciative and gathering crowd. Whoever he was, he was quite brilliant and really made that piano sing. A few of these random pianists have popped up on youTube but not, alas, this one.

Like Matthias, I regrettably had to dash off before the end.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
        In London from time to time random pianos can be found in unexpected places

There's one at St Pancras ...
        Street pianos have been around from time to time for a few years, on and off - part of an installation art work: http://streetpianos.com/london2012/

"...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

There was one just inside the underpass on the shops side at Herne Hill station a couple of weeks ago when I passed by. The joanna, an upright, was in very good condition. A young black guy was playing some swinging gospelly chords, which was wonderful. I was tempted to go over and add a bass line, but didn't want to put the lad off.

I hope someone keeps an eye on these precious instruments...

Comment

Working...
          X