X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

I had not listened to anything by FV Zappa for quite while until yesterday when I spun an audio DVD I had compiled a couple of years ago comprising Only in it for the Money, Lumpy Gravy and Civilization Phaze III. There were a couple of other Zappa albums on the disc but it was the three related ones I wanted to hear again.

Comment

• mathias broucek
      • Nov 2010

I do find I go in waves. I had a real Sibelius period at the start of the year and then didn't hear any for 6 months or so.

I've given up letting it bother me - I find that most things I go off for a while will come back.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        I see my collection of recorded music rather in the way major galleries might do their reserve collections - as worthy of being trotted out to give myself "exhibitions" of specific composers, historical periods, and so on. Two weeks ago I decided to unearth all my Vaughan Williams recordings, and treated myself to a chronological trip through everything I have of his - followed up, this last week, by a "Holst Spectacular".
        I went through every piece by every composer, chronologically, I had a few years ago. I started in 2006 and it took me over 4 years! Even for some composers I love it was occasionally tough going. The trouble is that I've bought so much since, it would now take me at least 7 years to do the same. I have getting on for 60 hours of Vaughan Williams for example now alone!

Comment

• Roslynmuse
          • Jul 2011

I sometimes only realise I've 'dropped' a composer when I come back to him/her. Working my way through a Beethoven symphony cycle at the moment and realising that I haven't heard some of these pieces for ten years. Indeed, I think I'd only heard No 3 and No 9 within the last twelve months.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
            I sometimes only realise I've 'dropped' a composer when I come back to him/her. Working my way through a Beethoven symphony cycle at the moment and realising that I haven't heard some of these pieces for ten years. Indeed, I think I'd only heard No 3 and No 9 within the last twelve months.
            Yes; this is what I was thinking of in #13: I don't think it can be called "dropping", though, as this which suggests to me an active decision "I've heard enough of x for the time being" - a decision I find as ludicrous as the chaps who decide to "drop" women at the start of Love's Labour's Lost!
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
            X