X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Dropping composers for a while

I don't seem to have been listening to Mahler this last few months.

Difficult and probably unnecessary to establish why.

Are there any composers you are giving a rest ?
  • Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Alison View Post

Schubert. All R3's fault. This year's total immersion has become total fatigue.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

The Mozartfeste had a similar effect on me for a while, but that has now passed. I avoided R3 for the Schubert marathon in order to avoid the problem.

Comment

• Alison
        • Nov 2010

I don't think I've ever felt the same about James Macmillan since a Barbican immersion weekend several years ago.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
          • Nov 2010

I hardly ever listen to Ravel these days, a composer I used to enjoy. Sadly R3's ongoing obsession with him has put me off. By keeping Radio 3 switched off for much of the day I hope to be cured.

Comment

• David-G
            • Mar 2012

Well, I am afraid that I quite fail to understand you all. I could not imagine "dropping" a composer that I loved under any circumstances. And listening to a large proportion of the "Schubert Fest" has confirmed my love for Schubert, and made me keen for more. I would count the Schubert Fest as a high point in my recent musical experience. At least two of my friends feel the same way.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
              I hardly ever listen to Ravel these days, a composer I used to enjoy. Sadly R3's ongoing obsession with him has put me off. By keeping Radio 3 switched off for much of the day I hope to be cured.
              Suffy, you are the expert, and you would know.
              Apart from Bolero, La valse, Le Tombeau.. and perhaps the Piano Trio, what else have they done to death?
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                • Nov 2010

Alborado, Mother Goose, the G Major Concerto, Pavane and Rhapsodie Espagnole, end even the Sonatine. Ravel's output is not large so over exposure of a dozen works might not sound much but accounts for a fair portion of his mature output.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                  Alborado, Mother Goose, the G Major Concerto, Pavane and Rhapsodie Espagnole, end even the Sonatine. Ravel's output is not large so over exposure of a dozen works might not sound much but accounts for a fair portion of his mature output.
                  You are right about those.Still, for us Ravel newbies, the full D and C can keep someone out of mischief for some time !
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

I guess there is a natural process of discovery, ( initial enthusiasm and)immersion, and then partial retreat.

re Mahler (and Bruckner) having other stuff , almost ANY other stuff,to do, can put the mockers on serious listening. Like proper coffee and pipe smoking, a full time hobby in themselves.

For myself, I am going through a more or less full time Arnold immersion (sounds like something ladies who lunch might do ) so other music is inevitably taking a back seat.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

I drop composers all the time then come back to them with renewed enthusiasm. It feels a perfectly natural thing to do and stops the dreaded onset of over-indulgence and boredom.

Like Alison, I've recently let Mahler rest for a while, then I came back over the past two nights to the 1st and an overwhelming 'Resurrection' in the live Tennstedt recording. I feel eager to hear the rest of the cycle all over again.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• johnb
                        • Mar 2007

I don't think I've ever felt the same about James Macmillan since a Barbican immersion weekend several years ago.
                        That and the Turnage weekend had the same effect on me. Just too much exposure for their own good.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                          That and the Turnage weekend had the same effect on me. Just too much exposure for their own good.
                          Whereas the Ferneyhough "Total Immersion" had everyone eager for - nay; demanding - more!

I don't actively "drop"/"rest" composers as such - it's more a case that active listening to some composers means that there isn't time for others. Last week, I listened to Markevich's Tchaikovsky Symphony cycle - the first time I've listened to any of this composer's Music for nearly two years. I've not been deliberately avoiding it, it's just that I've been listening to other Music. Thoroughly enjoyed the works, but not the performances (which I'd previously regarded as excellent): rather underwhelming. (Good No6, though.)
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Alison
                            • Nov 2010

Yes I suspect most of us don't deliberate too much over this; rather we just enter into different seasons of listening habit.

It's fascinating how our musical appetite works.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Yes I suspect most of us don't deliberate too much over this; rather we just enter into different seasons of listening habit.

It's fascinating how our musical appetite works.
                              I see my collection of recorded music rather in the way major galleries might do their reserve collections - as worthy of being trotted out to give myself "exhibitions" of specific composers, historical periods, and so on. Two weeks ago I decided to unearth all my Vaughan Williams recordings, and treated myself to a chronological trip through everything I have of his - followed up, this last week, by a "Holst Spectacular".

Comment

Working...
                              X