Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Every time I see the names Michael Nyman, John Rutter and Karl Jenkins

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

Ah, you're more like me then, SA.

I fancy I prejudge performers more than composers though.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
            • Nov 2010

I think there is a lot of prejudgement on composers. It seems that if listeners haven't heard of a particular composer or work it can't be any good, because its not by Beethoven or Mozart or Brahms etc. We can also be guilty of prejudging in reverse by making ourselves that just because a certain piece is by a well known composer it must be marvellous, which to be honest isn't always the case (even great composers have off-days). There are many outstandingly fine works by lesser known composers, but a large number of classical music lovers just can't be bothered to listen to them and if some people occasionally do, many still listen with closed ears. We have an absolutely unbelievable opportunity to hear so much music by a vast array of composers these days and perhaps we should open our ears more. I am hoping that my symphonic journey posts will try and encourage a wider symphonic listening experience beyond the 30-40 symphonies that seem to be in the repertoire these days.
            I believe I try to give every composer a chance, not every piece I listen to is a masterpiece and some are certainly best forgotten and even if I dislike a composer I'll still try and listen with open ears.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              I couldn't agree more.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Differentiated prejudice with those three in my case:

Jenkins (prejudice fully justified)
                Rutter (prejudice usually justified)
                Nyman (less prejudiced and will admit to liking some of his stuff)

Comment

• doversoul1
                  Ex Member
                  • Dec 2010

William Christie = Great. Excellent. Superb, and all the rest. The same goes with a few other names.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                    William Christie = Great. Excellent. Superb, and all the rest. The same goes with a few other names.
                    Toru Takemitsu?

Comment

• Tevot
                      • Nov 2010

Thomas Ades?

Richard Wagner?

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

I suspect that we ,as listers, bring a lot more to the process than we often realise.
                        Each of us has a huge store of knowledge, experience, expectation that we bring to each "new" piece of music. Obviously, this can be absolutely invaluable in our enjoyment, and in making our judgements.
                        Its also the case, I think, that we can benefit recognising what it is we are bringing to the process. It might be a good thing , at times, to try to listen to music, if possible, without all that baggage. The results might be interesting.
                        listening to music where we have as few reference points as possible, or listening "blind" to new recording, might be instructive, or interesting at least.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          I suspect that we ,as listers, bring a lot more to the process than we often realise.
                          Each of us has a huge store of knowledge, experience, expectation that we bring to each "new" piece of music. Obviously, this can be absolutely invaluable in our enjoyment, and in making our judgements.
                          Its also the case, I think, that we can benefit recognising what it is we are bringing to the process. It might be a good thing , at times, to try to listen to music, if possible, without all that baggage. The results might be interesting.
                          listening to music where we have as few reference points as possible, or listening "blind" to new recording, might be instructive, or interesting at least.
                          Agreed. I sometimes just switch on and try to guess the composer of a piece I am hearing for the first time. Generally I am accurate with the better-known composers, but every so often I get the wrong one, and, having decided that I like the piece, then discover it to be by a composer for whom I have previously declared my strong dislike!

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Michael Nyman's a strange case. I have little time for most of his post-Greenaway stuff and yet he has apparently withdrawn some of the most interesting works, such as A Handsom, Smooth, Sweet, Smart, Clear Stroke: Or Else Play Not At All. Yesterday evening I drove home from work to the accompaniment of his Think Slow, Act Fast, played by Hoketus in 1981, which I continue to find a real joy.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              Michael Nyman's a strange case. I have little time for most of his post-Greenaway stuff and yet he has apparently withdrawn some of the most interesting works, such as A Handsom, Smooth, Sweet, Smart, Clear Stroke: Or Else Play Not At All. Yesterday evening I drove home from work to the accompaniment of his Think Slow, Act Fast, played by Hoketus in 1981, which I continue to find a real joy.

I feel the same about Glass
                              but some composers just get better and better .......

Comment

Working...
                              X