X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Sep 2024

Music To Work To

Apologies if there has already been a thrad on this, but.....

I have a rather heavy writing project starting up in the next month or so, and I don't always find silence terribly conducive to inspiration. So, I was wondering what other forum members would reocmmend as suitable music to work to - you know the drill: not too distracting (so opera/vocal is probably out). I've recently acquired Brian Eno's 1975 album 'Discreet Muic', which was apparently designed for this precise purpose.

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Guest; 27-09-12, 19:33.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Personally, I cannot stand background music. Silence is wonderful.

Mr Grumpy

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Personally, I cannot stand background music. Silence is wonderful.

Mr Grumpy
      That makes two Messrs Grumpy (or two Grumpies...)

Comment

• amateur51

Tune to Gold - very work-friendly

http://www.mygoldmusic.co.uk/

Comment

• heliocentric

Remember though that a great deal of music - I'm thinking of baroque instrumental music in particular - was at least in part intended as background music, as in the titles of collections like Telemann's Musique de table and Delalande's Symphonies pour les soupers du Roi.

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Haydn symphonies that one doesn't know very well. You can always listen properly later if necessary.
            Not too loud though.

Comment

• Osborn

Painter/Decorators are the experts. Say 'Guinness' to get his attention, ask him to turn the volume down for a mo & give you his advice.

Comment

• Pianorak
                • Nov 2010

I cannot abide background music of any kind. - Grumpy Three.
                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Wheels of Cheese

I'm a writer and - weirdly - I find I write best to really difficult contemporary classical. It's almost like I'm making a space which is about art, as opposed to day to day life, which, regrettably, ain't. That said, Morton Feldman's For Philip Guston is good...

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by heliocentric View Post
                    Remember though that a great deal of music - I'm thinking of baroque instrumental music in particular - was at least in part intended as background music, as in the titles of collections like Telemann's Musique de table and Delalande's Symphonies pour les soupers du Roi.
                    And that's generally speaking not the music I am listening to

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Currently I've been listening to Rzewski's Coming Together - several versions. It does have vocal parta, but I wonder if it can act as a useful silence killer for anyone who wants to work to a musical accompaniment.

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

I write to Brian Eno's Ambient stuff - Music for Airports 1 and 2, Another Day on Earth, and Jocelyn Pook.

Gently, minimally repetitive but lyrical and inventive and ever shifting. Good stuff.
                        Last edited by DracoM; 28-09-12, 08:51.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Erik Satie's Musique d'Ameublement - except that it's more interesting and attention-sustaining to the music than its composer probably intended. Vexations, for solo piano, would be another Satie piece, which is effectively a loop of unresolving soft chromatic chords playing for... I can't remember how many repetitions.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

Whatever's on Radio 3 at the time - it means that you don't have to decide what to listen to, & you don't have to put on another CD after 50 minutes or so.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                              Whatever's on Radio 3 at the time - it means that you don't have to decide what to listen to, & you don't have to put on another CD after 50 minutes or so.
                              Oh, but Flossie: imagine the effect on anybody's writing of having those gushy introductions, pointless interviews, requests for tweets, news reports, the reading out of the tweets themselves! I can see the reviews now:

Mr Man's is a work of considerable scholarship and erudition as we have come to expect from this source. But there is a hitherto unexpected but nonetheless inescapable tone to his writing here that can only be described as "petulant", as if the author was suffering from recurrent attacks of gout whilst writing. We therefore cannot recommend the work to the general reader. For academic collections only.

Better to stick to a 75 min CD on auto-repeat, methinks. (It doesn't have to be Music, of course - there are recordings of birdsong and forest/ocean "noises" that soften the silence without having passages of Music that you just have to stop working and listen to.)
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X