X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mathias broucek
    • Nov 2010

The Dutch way of concert-going

On a business trip to Amsterdam I was lucky enough to catch the Netherlands PO do Bruckner 4 and Deipenbrock's Die Nacht (see the CD review thread for comments on the latter).

Aside from the well-known acoustic advantages of the hall, this was one of the most civilised concert-going experiences I've ever had. In no particular order
    • The hall isn't too large (I'm aware that this has economic consequences)
    • The programme booklet was small and free
    • There was plenty of leg room
    • The lights were kept on
    • It wasn't too hot (are you listening, RFH?)
    • After the loud and exciting coda of the Bruckner there was around 5 seconds' silence before applause gently started. After a minute or so, people then gradually started to stand
    • The conducter made eye-contact with the audience when taking his bows
    • Perhaps best of all, there was a free glass of wine or juice after the event. This meant that people were inclined to hang around and chat rather than dash away and seemed to deliver a general well-being out of proportion from the financial saving. (It also meant that the tram system wasn't overwhelmed!)

Would love to go back!
  • Tony Halstead
    • Nov 2010

Which hall was it?
    Presumably not the Concertgebouw which is indeed large. I suppose it depends on what is meant by 'too large'.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

I'm sure it was a wonderfully "civilised" experience
      but it's a shame that the Dutch Government doesn't share your enthusiasm (plenty of information online about the crisis in Dutch arts funding)

(and why is it a good thing that the "lights were kept on" ???)

Comment

• Tony Halstead
        • Nov 2010

I think it's because, when you are perfoming, not only as a soloist but also as an orchestral player, you can communicate better with people that you can SEE rather than a sort of empty blackness.

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
          I think it's because, when you are perfoming, not only as a soloist but also as an orchestral player, you can communicate better with people that you can SEE rather than a sort of empty blackness.
          Nowadays when concerts are televised from the RAH the hall is flooded with garish colours which I dislike very much.

Can anyone tell me if the audience and orchestra see all this or is it a TV trick of some kind? It must be distracting to the people present IMO.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

I blame Scriabin

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              I blame Scriabin
              But he didn't have a lucky hand...

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

(and why is it a good thing that the "lights were kept on" ???)
                Last week we went to see the classic folk duo Martin Carthy and Dave Swarbrick at out local Arts Centre. Right at the start, Carthy asked for the house lights to be turned up a bit, commenting: "I want to see the whites of your eyes!" Especially at a gig like that where there is chat with the audience, it is clearly helpful for the performers to to be able to see who they are talking to.
                I have never forgotten a song recital with Tracey Shadwell who appeared to be singing one very moving song while fixing her gaze firmly on me. It had a powerful effect, made even more poignant when she died tragically young not long afterwards.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
                  Which hall was it?
                  Presumably not the Concertgebouw which is indeed large. I suppose it depends on what is meant by 'too large'.
                  It was indeed the "Grote" hall (the main one). It's clearly large compared to, say, the Wigmore Hall, but it's tiny next to the RFH or Birmingham Symphony Hall.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    I have never forgotten a song recital with Tracey Shadwell who appeared to be singing one very moving song while fixing her gaze firmly on me. It had a powerful effect, made even more poignant when she died tragically young not long afterwards.
                    Pined away after your fleeting encounter?

I prefer more light in the concert hall - it's actually less tiring for the eyes than looking at a brightly lit stage, I'm less likely to nod off if I'm not sitting in the dark, & I can read the notes in the programme.

Comment

Working...
                    X