X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

MetroGnome

I came across this blog a few days ago. Most of the recordings are of live concerts (including Sir Adrian in a live Planets with the Boston Symphony, and a lengthy interview with Samuel Barber and John Browning about the piano concerto). In particular there's much William Steinberg - someone I have always rated, but who didn't record all that much - including a fine un-HIPP Beethoven 9 from Carnegie Hall.

"And the night shall be filled with music, And the cares that infest the day Shall fold their tents like the Arabs And as silently steal away." ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, The Day Is Done
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
    ... In particular there's much William Steinberg - someone I have always rated, but who didn't record all that much - including a fine un-HIPP Beethoven 9 from Carnegie Hall. ...
    As it's Steinberg, is it the Mahler orchestration? I seem to recall that he recorded that option.

[Ah: "This is a wonderful reading of the Ninth, with Steinberg using what sounds like his own performing version making use of some of the Mahler retuchens, some of Weingartner's amendments and some of his own changes."]
    Last edited by Bryn; 19-09-12, 08:28. Reason: update

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Any ideas where the recordings are on the site's blog posts???

Lots of juicy stuff (Horenstein conducting various Mahler symphonies!) but I can't seem to find a link to the sounds!!!

All I get is a nice picture, a blog post heading, and text. No link, no video, no sound file.

*EDIT*

There seem to be links to Mediafire in some of the comments, which then reveal a dreaded .rar file. I've never been able to do much with those (Windows PC). Boo!

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Just click on the heading of an item you are interested in and the link will turn up in the first comment below the description. Hmm, for the Horenstein Mahler 3, and maybe some others, the link is further down the comments.
        Last edited by Bryn; 19-09-12, 08:42. Reason: Update

Comment

• Pabmusic
          • May 2011

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
          Any ideas where the recordings are on the site???

Lots of juicy stuff (Horenstein conducting various Mahler symphonies!) but I can't seem to find a link to the sounds!!!
          Click on the title, which takes you to a page with comments. Among the comments will be a link that you'll have to paste into your browser. Most of the links I've tried work well, but some have disappeared or have other problems.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Thanks Pabmusic and Bryn.

What should I use to convert the .rar file?

Am I right in thinking some of these recordings haven't been released commercially?

Comment

• Pabmusic
              • May 2011

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
              Thanks Pabmusic and Bryn.

What should I use to convert the .rar file?

Am I right in thinking some of these recordings haven't been released commercially?
              I think you're right in that assumption, but I'm no expert. As far as .rar files go, I use a Mac, so I won't be of great help, other than to say that typing 'convert rar files' into a search engine brings up several bits of freeware for Windows. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X