X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

The Changing Sound of Music

I would like to recommend to those interested in the subject a book by Daniel Leech-Wilkinson on "The Changing Sound of Music: Approaches to Studying Recorded Musical Performances", published free online under the auspices of the Centre for the History and Analysis of Recorded Music (CHARM). It can be found here. Prof Leech-Wilkinson has also written books on medieval music and its interpretation.

Although the title may sound a bit dryasdust, and reading a lengthy work on a computer is not everyone's idea of enjoyment, I found it very well written and thought-provoking, with some very detailed analyses of early recordings (though not just early ones) and comments on performance style. It also has many sound extracts from those early recordings, some of which are fascinating in their own right, as well as graphical data analyses of details such as portamento, vibrato, rubato etc. I'd be interested to hear any comments on these from those with the stamina to read the work (you can confine yourself to half a chapter at a time if reading the close text on the screen is tiring).
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Bookmarked (but if Siegfrid Sassoon's trilogy is next on the reading list, it may be thirty years before I get round to it )
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aeolium
      • Nov 2010

Something to encourage you not to wait that long is that at the end of the 'Acknowledgements' section DL-W says that "Last time I dedicated a book to [my children] it was mainly in middle French". So a kindred spirit in one way
      Last edited by aeolium; 16-09-12, 19:43.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
        Something to encourage you not to wait that long is that at the end of the 'Acknowledgements' section DL-W says that "Last time I dedicated a book to [my children] it was mainly in middle French". So a kindred spirit in one way
        Indeed. I wish you hadn't quoted from my post, though - no point in my amending my spelling - Siegfried - since the damning evidence remains
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aeolium
          • Nov 2010

Sorted - now all you have to do is delete your last message, and I can delete this one, and no-one will be any the wiser

Complicated, this editing business....

Comment

Working...
          X