• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tony Halstead
    • Nov 2010

Richard Armstrong

While we seem to be investigating the Armstrongs:

Sir Richard Armstrong, CBE (born 1943) music director of Welsh National Opera 1973-1986, music director of Scottish Opera 1993-2005, 1978 recipient of the Janacek Medal, is currently an undervalued conductor.
    Also, unfortunately, his work is under-represented on CD.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Is he represented at all on CD?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
      While we seem to be investigating the Armstrongs:

Sir Richard Armstrong, CBE (born 1943) music director of Welsh National Opera 1973-1986, music director of Scottish Opera 1993-2005, 1978 recipient of the Janacek Medal, is currently an undervalued conductor.
      Also, unfortunately, his work is under-represented on CD.
      This is bee-zarre. I was thinking about Sir Richard long before our current rash of Armstrong threads started, possibly prompted by the thread on Sir Alexander Gibson

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        This is bee-zarre. I was thinking about Sir Richard long before our current rash of Armstrong threads started, possibly prompted by the thread on Sir Alexander Gibson
        Alexander Armstrong?

Comment

• makropulos
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Is he represented at all on CD?
          Yes he is - though there's nothing like as much as (I think) there should be.
          The Chandos Ariadane auf Naxos - which is superbly conducted - is fairly recent.
          And a few other things come to mind: a Wagner recital disc by Deborah Voigt on EMI, a couple of Alagna recitals on EMI, and - I think - Britten's Our Hunting Fathers with Söderström also on EMI. Did he conduct the Strauss Four Last Songs when Söderström recorded them for EMI?

On non-commercial CDs, there are several complete Janacek operas on Oriel Music Trust releases.

I very much agree with Waldhorn though - he's greatly undervalued by record companies.

Comment

Working...
          X