• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Armstrong Gibbs

Cecil Armstrong Gibbs was a composer I heard more about in my youth than nowadays. His lighter music is still performed sometimes, but my preference is for his songs, which express what is (to me) the essence and best of English culture. I was lucky enough to be introduced to his music by one of my teachers who had known CAG personally.
  • Roehre

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Cecil Armstrong Gibbs was a composer I heard more about in my youth than nowadays. His lighter music is still performed sometimes, but my preference is for his songs, which express what is (to me) the essence and best of English culture. I was lucky enough to be introduced to his music by one of my teachers who had known CAG personally.
    I was positively surprised as I got a Marco Polo CD as far back as the mid 1990s with his 1st and 3rd symphonies. Not the greatest works of the genre, but most certainly very enjoyable and craftmanlike written works.
    Note: his 3r symphony "Westmorland" from 1944 is his opus 104

Comment

• Northender

I have a recording (CDA 67093, but it may have been reissued/renumbered) of works for string orchestra played by the Guildhall Strings. Pleasant but unremarkable.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
        • Nov 2010

I have happy memories of singing Five Eyes. That's about all I can name!

Comment

• Tony Halstead
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
          I was positively surprised as I got a Marco Polo CD as far back as the mid 1990s with his 1st and 3rd symphonies. Not the greatest works of the genre, but most certainly very enjoyable and craftmanlike written works.
          Note: his 3r symphony "Westmorland" from 1944 is his opus 104
          Another very interesting 'Marco Polo' Armstrong Gibbs CD is: SONGS ( which include 'Five Eyes', Mary!) beautifully sung by Nik Hancock-Child, superbly accompanied by his pianist wife Rosemary.
          Immaculate diction, impeccable intonation and very 'un-wobbly'!
          The actual recording quality - although generally excellent - takes a bit of 'getting used to' as there are 2 very acoustically different venues, one with a church/ chapel sound ( lovely) and the other rather more 'boxy' / studio-bound.

Comment

Working...
          X