• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Sheila Armstrong

One of Barbirolli's favourite sopranos in the 1960s, I first heard her sing at the Free Trade Hall during that period. I remember being captivated by the beauty of sound and the commitment in her singing. Her reputation spread and she sang in opera as well as the concert hall. My only disappointment was in her recordings, where she often seemed (to me) to be weak and insecure, with over-close microphone playing. She sounded well in VW's Serenade to Music, but I was very disappointed with her singing of Mary in Hugh the Drover, Eigen in Elgar's Caractacus and Mary in The Apostles.

Indeed, I began to think SA was a singer with a week voice that engineers thought needed amplification, and that I had been mistaken in my original assessment of her. So when I went to a performance of Elgar's "The Kingdom" in the 1980s, I thought extreme tolerence would be necessary.
    How wrong could I have been? Here was a singer whose body language told us just how in tune she was with the music and she sang gloriously throughout. I never again heard her sing live, as she retired at the age of 51.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

You going to start a Thread on Louis as well, Alpie?

(When I saw the OP Title, I thought she must have died! Thankfully not.)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Good idea!

(When I saw the OP Title, I thought she must have died! Thankfully not.)
      No. She's around 70, I think.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        My thought too!

Sheila Armstrong was born on Aug 13 1942 so belated congratulations to her on her 70th birthday.

There were so many performances and recordings where she would be partnering Janet Baker or Alfreda Hodgson in the 1970's that you could not imagine one without the other.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          My thought too!
          The problem is, I'm aware that we must have some real Satchmo experts withing the forum.

Comment

• AjAjAjH
            • Nov 2010

Good things come in threes, you've started a thread on Craig and Shiela so get Louis' started Eine Alphonsinfonie.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AjAjAjH View Post
              Good things come in threes, you've started a thread on Craig and Shiela so get Louis' started Eine Alphonsinfonie.
              Only if you spell my name correctly...

Comment

Working...
              X