Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vile Consort
    • Nov 2010

Undoubtedly a great ambassador for the organ and organ music, he must have introduced a lot of people to the organ who would never otherwise have heard it. I only ever heard him once: I found his playing wayward and eccentric and his spiel cheesy. I guess a lot of people enjoyed the cheesy spiel and weren't aware of the waywardness. If it encouraged them to listen to more organ music then it doesn't matter.

I can't think there is another name that would pull in audiences like he did.

Comment

• christopher

He was a guest some years ago on Desert Island Discs. Unfortunately this recording is not currently available for downloading. As a memorial, could the BBC be persuaded to upload this programme?

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

hello Christopher
        it looks as if the relevant Desert Island Discs is available to download, at least here in the UK - are you in the US ?
        don't know if that makes a difference

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Vile Consort View Post
          Undoubtedly a great ambassador for the organ and organ music, he must have introduced a lot of people to the organ who would never otherwise have heard it. I only ever heard him once: I found his playing wayward and eccentric and his spiel cheesy. I guess a lot of people enjoyed the cheesy spiel and weren't aware of the waywardness. If it encouraged them to listen to more organ music then it doesn't matter.

I can't think there is another name that would pull in audiences like he did.
          "Wayward", "eccentric", "cheesy": all words which have been applied to Cameron Carpenter. The Proms of the first weekend in September will show whether there IS another name which can pull in the audiences as the original CC did.

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
            "Wayward", "eccentric", "cheesy": all words which have been applied to Cameron Carpenter. The Proms of the first weekend in September will show whether there IS another name which can pull in the audiences as the original CC did.
            I was at a Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin concert at Berlin Philharmonie last September with the American organist Cameron Carpenter playing Liszt’s La Campanella in an arrangement for solo organ that he had prepared. This was an outlandish performance that caused quite a stir both for the buoyant tone of the music together with Carpenter’s predominately white attire with diamante trimmed shoulders and shoes; all seemed very camp for my taste. An overenthusiastic Carpenter started playing as a number of the audience were still taking their seats after the interval. I found the arrangement somewhat clumsy and disjointed, making for uncomfortable listening. Although entertaining it all felt too Vaudeville for me. I heard Carlo Curley in recital a couple of years earlier and musically Carlo Curley seemed in a different league.

Comment

• christopher

Dwsert Island Discs

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              hello Christopher
              it looks as if the relevant Desert Island Discs is available to download, at least here in the UK - are you in the US ?
              don't know if that makes a difference

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features...d60fd#p009mkcl
              Thanks. I had searched without success some time ago.

Comment

Working...
              X