• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VodkaDilc
    • Sep 2024

Carlo Curley

I have just read this:
    The Facebook posting said "It is with great sadness that I must report that our dear friend Carlo Curley passed away about 5pm. He will be greatly missed by all who loved him and his amazing gift as a musician. Rest in peace Carlissimo"
    Very sad news.
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

just shy of 60 years old
    I heard him once at Manchester Town Hall - sorry to say I didn't really like his style of playing but his concerts were always sellouts - an entertainer and populariser
    Last edited by mercia; 15-08-12, 15:18.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Perhaps the Cameron Carpenter of an older generation. Certainly a master-showman - as well as an outstanding musician.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
        I have just read this:
        The Facebook posting said "It is with great sadness that I must report that our dear friend Carlo Curley passed away about 5pm. He will be greatly missed by all who loved him and his amazing gift as a musician. Rest in peace Carlissimo"
        Very sad news.
        I recall Carlo Curley playing a new church organ in a recital at Thornton a small town on the Fylde coast. He was the best organist that I have heard. Very commercially minded he reminded the audience several times, even breaking in to his recital to tell the audience that he was selling his CDs in the interval and at the end of his recital. He said not to worry if they had not enough cash with them as he had brought a credit card machine with him; the sort that produced a carbon copy of the slip. It worked he had long queues wanting his discs. A real bumbling type of character I remember that he played the whole recital with rolled up toilet paper sticking out of his nose, by about three quarters of an inch, that he said had been bleeding. He will be sadly missed. May he R.I.P.
        Last edited by Stanfordian; 12-08-12, 09:04.

Comment

• PJPJ
          • Nov 2010

I heard him twice, at Hereford Cathedral and Kingston Parish Church, an entertaining performer and very fine musician. RIP.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Scary. I think some of us here are older.

A Guided Organ Tour with Carlo Curley, Part 1Organ: Allen/Ott Organ, St. Nicholas Church, Trelleborg, Sweden.

and there is also a part 2

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
              " an entertaining performer and very fine musician. RIP."
              Nicely put, PJPJ

Comment

• hmvman
                • Mar 2007

This is very sad news. He was indeed very much a showman but, as others have said, a fine musician. I was at a concert of his at the Snape Maltings about twenty years ago and he gave a superb performance of the Elgar Sonata on the Allen Computer Organ. I also recall at the same concert he turned to grin at the audience, Russ Conway style, during one of the pieces. At York Minster a few years ago he stood in the organ loft and waved regally to the audience below in the Choir. As you say, Stanfordian, he wasn't slow to promote his CDs and I think he used the same line about the credit card machine at that York Minster recital. I queued to buy a CD and Carlo signed it - and called me "darling"!

Comment

• Frances_iom
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                  ..I queued to buy a CD and Carlo signed it ..!
                  I suspect he must have signed most as I have several of his CDs purchased secondhand over 50% are signed.
                  Selling CDs after a performance is quite usual - I bought several Fisher Cds that way + several at various French recitals I've been to during Organ festivals - I can't however recall ever hearing Carlo in person

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                    • Apr 2007

IIRC I heard Curley once playing his electronic travelling instrument.

What I'm quite sure of is that I bought a ticket to hear him on the Winchester cathedral organ and then forgot to go to the concert

No rectifying that one now RIP
                    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

did Mr Curley live in this country?

wikipedia says he died in Melton Mowbray

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

Big piece which you may have heard in Breakfast this morning SMP informed that tiny world he lived in Leicester .....

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                          Big piece which you may have heard in Breakfast this morning SMP informed that tiny world he lived in Leicester .....
                          To the London-centric media Melton Mowbray is Leicester!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                            To the London-centric media Melton Mowbray is Leicester!
                            Ahem to fanciers of pork products worldwide, Melton Mowbray is Nirvana

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              Ahem to fanciers of pork products worldwide, Melton Mowbray is Nirvana
                              I think he was more of an expert on pi(p)es!

Comment

Working...
                              X