• Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
    I wish....
    The Tahiti Trot would trot off
    Better avoid the encore in tonight's Prom then, Suffo
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

I do love these negative threads.

NOT !

Comment

• visualnickmos
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        I do love these negative threads.

NOT !
        Quite so! Total waste of 'forum space and time' IMV. And increasingly weak attempts at witty puns..... please NO!

Comment

• agingjb
          • Apr 2007

Anything that reveals the detestation of most music among the musically educated and skilled is a valuable revelation to those of us who are without talent but enjoy so many of the works listed here.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by agingjb View Post
            Anything that reveals the detestation of most music among the musically educated and skilled
            Most music?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by agingjb View Post
              Anything that reveals the detestation of most music among the musically educated and skilled is a valuable revelation to those of us who are without talent but enjoy so many of the works listed here.
              As Richard Barrett observes above
              I think what's being talked about here is people being annoyed with the unimaginative overprogramming of this or that work, rather than being annoyed with the music itself.
              - not sure that talent, education or skill has anything to do with it I was surprised to see Schubert Impromptus creep into one of Suffy's lists, but then I don't listen to Essential Classics enough (or Breakfast at all) so don't hear them any more than I need to (I love them dearly but only listen to them rarely). And they do stick to a couple of the D899 and D935 ones, rather than D946, just to underline the problem.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                As Richard Barrett observes above - not sure that talent, education or skill has anything to do with it I was surprised to see Schubert Impromptus creep into one of Suffy's lists, but then I don't listen to Essential Classics enough (or Breakfast at all) so don't hear them any more than I need to (I love them dearly but only listen to them rarely). And they do stick to a couple of the D899 and D935 ones, rather than D946, just to underline the problem.
                Richard,

One of the problems with these boards is that we rarely discuss music we love dearly, conveying something of our enthusiasm. Most of the comments on these threads are simply aimed as criticism of performance or complaints about over exposure of certain works.

The value of music to us rarely gets a mention.

Comment

• doversoul1
                  Ex Member
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                  Richard,

One of the problems with these boards is that we rarely discuss music we love dearly, conveying something of our enthusiasm. Most of the comments on these threads are simply aimed as criticism of performance or complaints about over exposure of certain works.

The value of music to us rarely gets a mention.
                  Come and see The Early Music Board

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... o I think many here express enthusiasm for the stuff they like.

But, like a small pebble in the shoe, somehow it's the irritants that are more likely to draw our most immediate and vociferous attention....

Many pieces of music irritate me - but usually once passed, the irritation immediately disappears. Whereas the joy provided by Schutz Monteverdi Victoria Bach Haydn Couperin Scarlatti Tallis Mozart Beethoven Rameau Vivaldi Schubert Lully Chopin Rossini Brahms Mahler Verdi Bruckner Berlioz Wagner Strauss... perdures

Comment

Working...
                    X