Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barber olly

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
    It's sad to say that for me, what were once enjoyable pieces of classical music have become "extremely annoying pieces of classical music" entirely because they are played so frequently on Radio 3. All too often I hit the off button in the morning and reach for more unfamiliar fare in my CD collection.
    Ditto, and really annoying as it includes masterpieces such as Sibelius VC and Elgar CC, but it's the Breakfast fare short pieces that really annoy.

Comment

• Thomas Roth

Turangalila, Beethoven 9, Mahler 1-8, La Traviata, Ein Deutsches Requiem, Grieg, Pärt, Gubaidulina, Allan Pettersson (I like no 7), Symphonie fantastique.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
        • Nov 2010

I really and truly do feel very sorry for you.

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Rimsky K Capriccio Espagnole. It's so dogged and inevitable. It gets better later though. [IMHO}

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
            Rimsky K Capriccio Espagnole. It's so dogged and inevitable. It gets better later though. [IMHO}
            Sal, see my post 114 on this thread! We are of one mind! It's awful! (I didn't get to "later" the last few times I happened upon it... I imagine it finishes with a flourish. And a sigh of relief )
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Tapiola
              • Jan 2011

I used to quite like the Capriccio Espagnole until it was hijacked by that Torville and Dean pair for one of their (pre-Bolero) routines. Even at a tender age, I found this all a bit too much...

Annoying pieces? Anything by Michael Nyman.

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Sal, see my post 114 on this thread! We are of one mind! It's awful! (I didn't get to "later" the last few times I happened upon it... I imagine it finishes with a flourish. And a sigh of relief )
                I'm in good company then, Caliban x

Comment

• Ariosto

I hate that Carmina (Burana/Burinama?) whatsit piece by Carl Awful. Total ****.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
                    I hate that Carmina (Burana/Burinama?) whatsit piece by Carl Awful. Total ****.
                    I think you will find that it comes with a rather nice vegetable curry

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

I hate admitting this, but I find much Delius simply boring - and believe me I have tried very hard over many years. However, I think I am a little more open-minded than the strings of one (amateur) orchestra that I conducted who simply went on strike when confronted with "First Cuckoo"! At that moment, I became the world's most committed Delian - if only temporarily.

Comment

• Tapiola
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                        I hate admitting this, but I find much Delius simply boring...
                        Pabmusic,

The s are on me.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                          Pabmusic,

The s are on me.
                          Taps, I'll get the second round in (I've tried too, pabmusic - I've got nowhere... but Elgar, V-W, Finzi, Britten are all at the top of my hit parade); and Taps you get a chaser, since I'm totally with you about Mr Nyman.
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• johnb
                            • Mar 2007

It strikes me that, for many of the people contributing to this thread, their irritation with various pieces stems from them being endlessly repeated on Breakfast. This begs the question: why on earth listen to a programme that causes such irritation? After all the programme is little more than aural wallpaper.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thomas Roth View Post
                              Turangalila, Beethoven 9, Mahler 1-8, La Traviata, Ein Deutsches Requiem, Grieg, Pärt, Gubaidulina, Allan Pettersson (I like no 7), Symphonie fantastique.
                              That is strange, Thomas. I had always thought you fairly broad-minded. I love all the works you mention with one reservation.

Personally, from your list, I find Ein Deutsches Requiem heavy. I actually fell asleep in the Berlin Philharmonie with HvK conducting. However, it is the orchestral version I do not get on with. It is lovely in the two piano version.

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                                It strikes me that, for many of the people contributing to this thread, their irritation with various pieces stems from them being endlessly repeated on Breakfast. This begs the question: why on earth listen to a programme that causes such irritation? After all the programme is little more than aural wallpaper.
                                I suspect many are exBreakfast listeners!

Comment

Working...
                                X