X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    ...Push the envelopes if you wish, though then I suppose we'd have to allow Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique!
    Of course I'm pushing envelopes - what else do you expect with percussion? But everything I've suggested is regarded as core percussion repertoire. Works that feature percussion in the way that (say) violin concertos feature violins are few and far between - even a little esoteric or even eccentric. Therefore, those that are famed among percussionists for the difficulty/prominence/stretchabiltity of some aspect of the writing, over long stretches, are fair game. Surely you wouldn't argue that - say - the Schubert Octet is not an important piece in a clarinettist's repertoire, even if it's not principally for clarinet? Nielsen's Clarinet Concerto has seriously long passages throughout that amount to a duet for clarinet and side drum - a continuous feature of the work. More so, even, than the (very good) symphonic examples quoted, which tend to be impressive moments. I recall the soloist having a separate rehearsal with piano and side drum (me) before performing it.
    Last edited by Pabmusic; 06-08-12, 11:17.

Comment

• Black Swan

I don't think anyone has mentioned Toru Takemitsu's 'From Me Flows What You Call Time' for percussion and orchestra. This is not only one of my favorite works by Takemitsu but a major favorite in general. There are also other works by Takemitsu for Percussion.

John

Comment

• Roehre

Matthus: Der Wald - concerto for kettledrum and orchestra (1984)

Comment

• DublinJimbo
          • Nov 2011

Christopher Rouse: Der gerettete Alberich
          Einojuhani Rautavaara: Incantations (Percussion Concerto)
          Alfredo Casella: Concerto for Piano, Timpani, Percussion and Strings
          William Bolcom: Dream Music No. 2 for Harpsichord and Percussion
          Per Nørgård: A Light Year (for Percussion Ensemble)
          Poul Ruders: Monodrama (Drama Trilogy II for Percussion and Orchestra)
          Ellen Taaffe Zwilich: Rituals for Five Percussionists and Orchestra

Eino Tamberg: Concerto Grosso op. 5 for flute, clarinet, trumpet, alto saxophone, bassoon and piano with percussion, harp, and strings.
          The percussion is incidental for the most part, but really comes into its own in the final movement.

Peteris Vasks: 'Birth' for Mixed Choir and Percussion
          Last edited by DublinJimbo; 08-08-12, 23:04. Reason: Added Tamberg and Vasks

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Morton Feldman: The King of Denmark

This is Morton Feldman's The king of Denmark. This performance is by Shawn Savageau and done as part of his junior recital at the University of Alaska, Fairb...

... just three of the nine performances available on youTube!

The title of the piece refers to an incident during the Second World War, when the Nazi occupiers ordered that all Jews in Denmark be forced to wear a Star of David in public. The next day, the King appeared in public, wearing a Star of David.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pabmusic
              • May 2011

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
              I don't think anyone has mentioned Toru Takemitsu's 'From Me Flows What You Call Time' for percussion and orchestra. This is not only one of my favorite works by Takemitsu but a major favorite in general. There are also other works by Takemitsu for Percussion.

John
              Yes indeed. A strange oversight - Takemitsu is a major composer for percussion works.

Comment

• Boilk
                • Dec 2010

Henry Cowell Concerto for Percussion and Orchestra
                Alan Hovhaness October Mountain (percussion sextet)
                Alan Hovhaness Khaldis (piano, 4 trumpets, percussion)
                Alan Hovhaness Suite for violin, piano and percussion
                Lou Harrison Suite for Percussion
                Lou Harrison Fugue for Percussion
                Lou Harrison Concerto for Violin and Percussion Orchestra
                Lou Harrison Concerto for Organ with Percussion Orchestra
                Daniel Jones Sonata for 3 Kettledrums
                Barry Anderson Proscenium (percussionist, tape and live electronics)
                James Dillon La coupure (percussionist and live electronics)
                Last edited by Boilk; 09-08-12, 01:23. Reason: typo

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Cornelius Cardew The Great Learning: Paragraph 2 (voices and drums), and of course Crash Bang Clank Music from Paragraph 5.

Comment

Working...
                  X