X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

James Dillon: East 11th St NY 10008 (Percussion Ensemble); Ti.re-Ti.ke-Dha (Solo Drumkit):

Jared Twenty performs Ti.re-Ti.ke-Dha (1979) by James Dillon at Oberlin Conservatory

Ti.re-Ti.ke-Dha, James DillonScotty Horey, percussionUniversity of Minnesota'CMW Presents' is the organizational wing of the Contemporary Music Workshop (CMW...

Helmut Lachenmann: Interieur 1 (solo percussionist):

About the piece:At a time during the 1960s in which many composers in Europe and the US began working in electronic music studios in a search for new sounds,...
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Anyone else see Stomu Yamash'ta in the Roundhouse in the 1970s? What has he been doing since? Any good recordings?
      Never did see him, Dave. Seems he became a monk:

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Ah. There were one or two "mega" LP recordings issued. can anyone remember what they were?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

Ah. There were one or two "mega" LP recordings issued. can anyone remember what they were?
          There was Oiseau-lyre DSLO 1 with Henze Prison Song, Takemitsu Seasons and Maxwell Davies Turis Campanarum Sonantium. The latter is/was available on Decca CD in a PMD anthology with the trumpet concerto and the Renaissance Scottish Dances http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxwell-Davi...4182000&sr=1-2
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

Kagel: Match fur 3 Spieler. A particular favourite. Unusually in music, a work of great wit.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Some more:

Elliott Carter:
              Eight pieces for four timpani
              John Cage:
              Music for percussion quartet
              Irwin Bazelon:
              Triple play - for 2 trombones and percussion
              Nikolai Kapustin:
              Concerto for 2 pianos and percussion
              - this one feels more like jazz!

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Silly me! I'd overlooked Percy Grainger. He wrote so much that includes significant percussion - especially 'tuneful percussion'. Something like The Warriors is an obvious candidate, but I'll nominate his arrangement of Ravel's La Vallee des cloches, for all sorts of marimbas, gongs and things. Here's also a recording of percussion music: http://www.move.com.au/disc/woof-tun...percy-grainger

Comment

• Pabmusic
                  • May 2011

Paul Creston's Marimba Concerto (1940)
                  Julius Tausch: Timpani concerto (1870)
                  Clementi: Twelve waltzes for piano and tambourine, op. 38 (I'd love to play this!)
                  Nielsen: Clarinet Concerto (I have played side drum this, in 1975)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Nielsen is either "pushing the envelope" so much that the contents go over the standard postage rate, Pabs, or mean-spirited because you haven't included the Fifth Symphony (or the Fourth for that matter. Or Shostakovich #10).

The OP mentions "classics", so perhaps we need to include the most boring CD I know:

Virtuoso Timpani Concertos. Naxos: 8557610. Buy download online. Alexander Peter (timpani/conductor) Dresden Philharmonic Chamber Orchestra

Comment

• JohnSkelton

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      The OP mentions "classics", so perhaps we need to include the most boring CD I know:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Naxos/8557610
                      That looks dire, ferney . Xenakis's masterpieces should be essential here; I don't think Birtwistle's For O, For O, the Hobbyhorse is Forgot has been remembered here, and there's a percussion concerto by Friedrich Cerha just issued on Kairos http://www.mdt.co.uk/cerha-friedrich...ez-kairos.html. I haven't heard it, though.

The website for Les Percussions de Strasbourg http://www.percussionsdestrasbourg.com/Presentation,30 might be interesting in this context.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by JohnSkelton View Post
                        I don't think Birtwistle's For O, For O, the Hobbyhorse is Forgot has been remembered here,

I "remembered that I'd forgotten" this piece just before I nodded off last night - and forgot it again this morning!

Comment

• hedgehog

For solo percussion I think Zyklus and Psappha are seminal works, but a favourite of mine as a "following on" from these works is Per Nørgård's I Ching

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            Nielsen is either "pushing the envelope" so much that the contents go over the standard postage rate, Pabs, or mean-spirited because you haven't included the Fifth Symphony (or the Fourth for that matter. Or Shostakovich #10).

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Naxos/8557610
                            Shostakovich 4 also has a spectacular timpani outburst just before the end. Other Shostakovich symphonies also demonstrate percussive effects. Nielsen 4 is also pretty dramatic - and I'd have said more effective than the 5th.

Push the envelopes if you wish, though then I suppose we'd have to allow Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique!

Comment

• Roehre

Stockhausen: Schlagtrio für Klavier und 2 * 3 Pauken
                              Masson: Marimba concerto (1987)
                              Miki:Marimba concerto (1969)
                              Milhaud: Concerto for marimba, vibrafone and orchestra op.278 (1947)
                              Ptaszynska: Marimba concerto (1985)

Comment

• Roehre

.... Other Shostakovich symphonies also demonstrate percussive effects...
                                No.15 e.g., or the timpani solo in no.1's finale

Comment

Working...
                                X