• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

The sexy version of Chopin's 1st Piano Concerto

A few months or so back the Bargains thread led me to order a Shttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51L7uYlFTTL._SL500_AA300_.jpgony/BMG Discotheque box for a fiver or so. Many of the discs in the box were duplicates of some I already had, but I thought they would be a good resource to keep in the car. Today the following disc from the box caught my attention:

I knew well enough that the quality of the full orchestration of the concerto had been called into question over the years but had not previously known of the sextet version. What a delight I found it.

Any comments from contributors here concerning the orchestral and string quintet accompaniments to the piano in this concerto?
  • Roehre

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    A few months or so back the Bargains thread led me to order a Shttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51L7uYlFTTL._SL500_AA300_.jpgony/BMG Discotheque box for a fiver or so. Many of the discs in the box were duplicates of some I already had, but I thought they would be a good resource to keep in the car. Today the following disc from the box caught my attention:

I knew well enough that the quality of the full orchestration of the concerto had been called into question over the years but had not previously known of the sextet version. What a delight I found it.

Any comments from contributors here concerning the orchestral and string quintet accompaniments to the piano in this concerto?
    It has been broadcast on R3 two or three times already, including a premiere on July 27th 2010.
    Both concertos seem to have been arranged for chamber forces. To be honest, of the 2nd concerto I always preferred the middle movement in Chopin's own suggested version for piano solo (i.e. just playing the piano part and ruthlessly omitting the orchestral parts), now followed by this piano+quintet-version.
    Haven't heard the 1st concerto yet in this performance, but I think it might be even better.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
      It has been broadcast on R3 two or three times already, including a premiere on July 27th 2010.
      Both concertos seem to have been arranged for chamber forces. To be honest, of the 2nd concerto I always preferred the middle movement in Chopin's own suggested version for piano solo (i.e. just playing the piano part and ruthlessly omitting the orchestral parts), now followed by this piano+quintet-version.
      Haven't heard the 1st concerto yet in this performance, but I think it might be even better.
      I'm sure I heard it a few years ago in Newport, RI at the Breakers by a very young lady pianist - who was very good.
      I'm trying to find details. Sadly, the obvious contact - the director of the festival, was, I've just discovered, killed in a car crash a couple of years go.

Comment

Working...
      X