• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

A little gem

This is what Radio 3 is all about:

Viola: Air on a C String

Writer and string player Fiona Maddocks takes an analytical look at the viola. Why did so many great composers choose the most misunderstood and enigmatic string instrument as their favourite? What is it about its tone quality and the role that it plays in musical texture - right at the heart of the harmonic engine room - that made it so attractive, and why has it become the butt of jokes? With contributions from soloists PInchas Zukerman and Maxim Rysanov, Paul Cassidy of the Brodsky Quartet, violist/composers Brett Dean and Sally Beamish, and baroque violist Annette Isserlis.

Music includes works by Bach, Purcell, Mozart Beethoven, Schubert, Janacek, Smetana, Berlioz, Tchaikovsky, Hindemith, Britten, Vaughan Williams, Walton, and Bartok.

Catch it while you can.

OG
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I noticed this as I was looking for a new item for the homepage Now iPlaying box.

Hope I can find time to listen.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Wonderful programme, listened this morning

Loved the viola players' riposte to all those jokes...
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
      X