Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • prokkyshosty

The 'third great Soviet composer'...

This is a line from a review by Steve Schwartz on classical.net that seems to have been adopted by everybody trying to find something to write about the composer Mieczyslaw Weinberg. Schwartz wrote in 2004 "for me, Weinberg is the third great Soviet composer, along with Prokofieff and Shostakovich" and if you run a google search on the phrase, you'll find numerous reviews that start "Hailed as 'the third great Soviet composer, along with Prokofiev and Shostakovich'...." Gee, I wish I had that power -- the only thing I can hail is a taxi.

Anyone care to debate this one? Any Khatchaturian fans want to rattle their sabres?
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

I just hope that the recent focus on Weinberg/Vainberg leads to a CD issue of Shostakovich's 10th Symphony in its four handed keyboard version as played by the composer and said Mieczyslaw/Moishe/Moisey. Not fond of composer ratings, but if it comes to it, I think Mieczyslaw/Moishe/Moisey Weinberg/Vainberg a rather better composer than Aram Khachaturian.

Comment

• prokkyshosty

That four hand Shosty 10th is simply the most amazing single performance I have ever heard captured on CD.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

I have it on LP but not on CD. Do tell. Where does one find the CD?

Comment

• prokkyshosty

The aptly named Revelation label -- RV70002 (1997)

or: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symph-10-Dmi...3159419&sr=8-1

Comment

• prokkyshosty

ps. for that performance to be out of print is a crying shame!!!

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Ah well! I am currently downloading the 'high quality' flvs from You Tube uploads.

[What you get from those flvs, when you extract the audio, is 'stereo' aac files averaging around 96kbps. Since the source is mono, I just hope the 'stereo' is not too data wasteful.]

[[I now find that amazon.co.uk offer an mp3 download of an album including the 10th for £7.49. Just search in "Music" for "Shostakovich: Symphony No. 10, Preludes and Film Music".]]
              Last edited by Bryn; 24-07-12, 21:32.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                I just hope that the recent focus on Weinberg/Vainberg leads to a CD issue of Shostakovich's 10th Symphony in its four handed keyboard version as played by the composer and said Mieczyslaw/Moishe/Moisey. Not fond of composer ratings, but if it comes to it, I think Mieczyslaw/Moishe/Moisey Weinberg/Vainberg a rather better composer than Aram Khachaturian.
                I think it was released in the 1990s on the much-missed highly variable Russian Revelations series, Bryn

Apologies for crossed post, prokky

Comment

• prokkyshosty

No problem, amateur51. Any other recommendations from the Revelation series? I remember being very excited when they were first announced, then somehow I lost track of their progress.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                    • Nov 2010

I'm a great admirer of Vainberg/Weinberg's music. I'm not sure whether he would want to remembered as the 3rd great Soviet composer though, being Polish born. At his best he is certainly equal to and occasionally surpasses Shostakovich in quality, though not necessarily always in memorability. There is still much to explore and with still only a fair portion of his works yet to be recorded, it is still difficult to really form a secure judgement. Another composer who we hear little of and perhaps could also be considered to be among the finest Soviet composers is Gavril Popov.

Comment

• prokkyshosty

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                      Gavril Popov.
                      I'm one of those who doesn't know anything about Popov past the Symphony No 1, which has been cast as a proto-Shostakovich 4th... What else is out there that's worth checking out?

Similarly, I've always wondered what there is of Alexander Mossolov other than the cracking Iron Foundry...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by prokkyshosty View Post
                        I'm one of those who doesn't know anything about Popov past the Symphony No 1, which has been cast as a proto-Shostakovich 4th... What else is out there that's worth checking out?

Similarly, I've always wondered what there is of Alexander Mossolov other than the cracking Iron Foundry...
                        There was a series on programmes on R3 about a year ago featuring music by several of these Soviet composers from the period before the Asaviev/Stalin clamp-down of the mid-1930s. I don't remember Vainberg being among them - and have never ever heard any of his music.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                          • Nov 2010

There's not a lotof Popov out there, 4 of his symphonies were available on CD, and the impressive 3rd is available via youtube, there are also a couple of other works available. Not much, but its generally good, especially the earlier works. The reason why Vainberg wouldn't have been included in programme about the 1930's Soviet Union S-A, is that he wasn't born until the end of 1919 and only fled to the Soviet Union after the Nazi invasion of his native Poland.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                            There's not a lotof Popov out there, 4 of his symphonies were available on CD, and the impressive 3rd is available via youtube, there are also a couple of other works available. Not much, but its generally good, especially the earlier works. The reason why Vainberg wouldn't have been included in programme about the 1930's Soviet Union S-A, is that he wasn't born until the end of 1919 and only fled to the Soviet Union after the Nazi invasion of his native Poland.
                            Thanks for that information, SC!

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                              • Nov 2010

With the CBSO, MG-T, freshly back from maternity leave, has taken up the Weinberg mantle, with help from Gidon Kremer:

A weekend dedicated to the composer Mieczysław Weinberg featured the first British performance of his anguished 21st Symphony, dedicated to victims of the Warsaw ghetto

I thought that David Nice had a review of the same CBSO concert from The Arts Desk, but it seems to have gone missing.

Comment

Working...
                              X