• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Composing, arranging and orchestrating using computer software

As a quite early user of Sibelius software, back in 1995, I've become hooked on this kind of input. It's quick, easy and enables me to check the results aurally. For most of the time, I'm happy with the results. However, I know I do a better job when using manuscript paper. This may because I spend more time thinking as I write each note painstakingly by hand, but I think the real reason for the superiority of the traditional method is the fact that I can see the entire page, giving a much more relable overview.

It should be possible to be equally creative either way, but in my case I'm not so sure. Do others find the computer screen to be a barrier or a release?
  • Suffolkcoastal
    • Nov 2010

I've always composed using manuscript and pencil, basically these days as I cannot afford expensive software packages and it looks like I never will. Writing in manuscript really does increase your aural facilities and makes sure you get exactly what you want. I always fear with software programmes that once you've input the information and played it back you might think, it's well not exactly perfect but it'll do. The main handicap for those of us who can't afford software these days is that we are largely excluded from entering any composing competitions or submitting work to publishers, as music printed out from software and a copy of the playback is increasingly the only way you are able to get your music considered. This is probably why I've now virtually stopped composing altogether.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

One thing that always put me off the idea of composing (as opposed to doodling at the joanna) is the complexity of the arithmetic of it: all those hemisemidemiquaver rests or whatever, dotted and double-dotted notes that must be there etc., and calculating's never been one of my strong points. A friend bought Sibelius, and I saw him working on a big funk band arrangement, which sounded just fantastic. "Amazing", he told me, "You improvise in all these complex rhythmic and metric subdivisions, and it does it all for you, working it all out, and writes it up as a score. Imagine what Bach or Beethoven could have done with one of these!"

Comment

• subcontrabass
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
        I've always composed using manuscript and pencil, basically these days as I cannot afford expensive software packages
        I have done all my arranging (and my very occasional composing) for the last ten years or so using a cheap package (current price £99), which does everything I want (and a great deal more that I do not currently use).

Since most of my work is small scale for unaccompanied choir the amount visible on screen is not a great problem.

Comment

• Boilk
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          ... but I think the real reason for the superiority of the traditional method is the fact that I can see the entire page, giving a much more relable overview.
          Possible solution ... have TWO monitors, one being a portrait screen so you can view entire page of the score. Or if monitor footprint (desk space) is at a premium, have a swivel monitor that rotates 90 degrees for either position. I use an HP L1750 (near-18-inch screen) which is great in portrait mode for editing Word documents or perusing downloaded PDF documents.

The portrait screen is also surprisingly useful for web pages with lengthy articles, as well as eBay and YouTube - much less scrolling!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Alpie: your new Atavar - have you become a cereal composer?
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Alpie: your new Atavar - have you become a cereal composer?
              No, it just seemed to fit with this -

Comment

Working...
              X