Wheels of Cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheels of Cheese

Thanks all for the feedback. Nice to hear.

Comment

• Wheels of Cheese

And it’s our old friend Ludwig van Beethoven once again in the role of puppet master, as du Pre and Barenboim – those crazy kids – spend a delightful evening not ‘watching Eastenders‘ like a normal married couple, but dancing their way through the Elysian fields of Ludwig’s Cello Sonatas... Wheels of Cheese #25

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

no disrespect, but somehow I don't think EMI will be quoting from your review as publicity material

time to move on from listening to cello music ?

Comment

• Hornspieler
          Late Member
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
          ... PS Tangentially, on the subject of Daniel Barenboim, his Desert Island Discs (with Sue Lawley) and now available on the DoD Archive is a great listen, not least his imitation of Sir Clifford Curzon
          How many strings did he break? (Curzon broke four, the last time I saw him play.)

Comment

• Wheels of Cheese

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            no disrespect, but somehow I don't think EMI will be quoting from your review as publicity material

time to move on from listening to cello music ?
            I CAN'T!!! By the terms of my absurd project, I have to listen to every piece of music in the June 2012 Gramophone Magazine, in order, and blog about them. So 11 more cds of cello to go. Five months in and I'm still on the inside of the front cover... People said I was mad...

Comment

• eighthobstruction
              • Nov 2010

Yep, got to respect a man who has a system (excepting AVB of Spurs of course)....I can't remember which journal is was that used to avertise "There's so much in it" (probably Hello or some such)....but just analysing how much info and knowledge in a single edition of Gramaphone shows just what a SOUP of erudition we swim in....
              bong ching

Comment

• Wheels of Cheese

I was an eighteen year old rookie when I first heard the music of Elliott Carter, who died last week. It was his Symphony of Three Orchestras, a complex work in which the three orchestras, each consisting of diverse groups of instruments, p
                lay simultaneously, sometimes coming together in harmony, sometimes clashing and falling into chaos...

Wheels of Cheese celebrates Elliott Carter.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                  • Nov 2010

Well, what can one say other than I couldn't agree more. Very well put - and a fitting tribute to a great man.

Comment

• Wheels of Cheese

Beethoven. Deaf. Wheels of Cheese #26. Out now.

Comment

• Wheels of Cheese

There’s a great story about Leonard Bernstein’s dad, Sam, a hair dressing supplies wholesaler. When Lenny was growing up, Sam kept trying to get him to give up the music and get a respectable job, like a doctor or a dentist or a hair dressing supplies wholesaler, already. Years later, when his son had become one of the greatest conductor/composers/pianists in musical history, he was asked why he tried to stop him pursuing his art. Sam said ‘What am I – a clairvoyant? How did I know he’d turn out to be Leonard Bernstein!’

Wheels of Cheese 27 Out now http://www.peter-salmon.co.uk/peters...els-of-cheese/ WARNING, CONTAINS THE 'F' WORD..., cos I was angry :-)

Comment

• Pianorak
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Wheels of Cheese View Post
                        Wheels of Cheese 27 Out now http://www.peter-salmon.co.uk/peters...els-of-cheese/ WARNING, CONTAINS THE 'F' WORD..., cos I was angry :-)
                        You'll be in for a shock when you get to dear Ludwig's Op. 2. The air will no longer be blue - and I bet you'll forgive him his Op. 1.
                        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Wheels of Cheese

It must be nice to be an Archduke. Sure, you get shot sometimes by Gavrilo Pricip thus precipitating a World War (in which, as history tells us, there were no real winners or losers, except England and Germany), but if you do go flaunting Austrian supremacy on the anniversary of the Battle of Kosovo that tends to happen (‘idiot’ – Rebecca West).

But you also get to have the odd nice tune dedicated to you, often by Beethoven.

Wheels of Cheese #28 - http://www.peter-salmon.co.uk/peters...els-of-cheese/

Comment

• Wheels of Cheese

Well, that’s weird. It’s only a week ago that I was first introduced to the music of the Dutch composer, Simeon ten Holt, and I’ve spent much of the week listening to his work… ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT HE DIED ONE WEEK AGO! On November 25. The very day that I was listening to him for the first time.

Wheels of Cheese #29 out now

Comment

• Wheels of Cheese

Did Beethoven's ghost murder Ludwig Leichardt? Wheels of Cheese #30. Out now... http://tinyurl.com/ckre75e

Comment

• Wheels of Cheese

Hey gang

Because I tend to agree that this is a bit spammy, I'll not be linking to Wheels again, but thems who are interested can subscribe... Which means I have to link one last time...

Onwards!

Pete

Comment

Working...
                                X