X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheels of Cheese
    • Oct 2024

Wheels of Cheese

I'm not sure if it's OK to post this, so apologies if not, but having got such a lot of positive feedback for my Wheels of Cheese blog I though I would just once more. Basically, my insane idea is to listen to every piece of music in the June 2012 edition of Gramophone Magazine (because it was there!) and blog about it. So that's what I'm doing. You can find it here - http://www.peter-salmon.co.uk/peters...els-of-cheese/

Anyway, I won't post here again if this is an illegitimate use of the forums. It's possible to subscribe if you want further editions, and I will be throwing in the odd Prom review, so look for it there.

Enjoy, and am happy to be moderated out of here if need be...

Pete
  • verismissimo
    • Nov 2010

Nice idea, Pete. Insane but nice.

Only problem from my perspective: too many words, Mr Salmon, too many words.

It's so common in blogs.

Good luck!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Wheels of Cheese View Post
      Anyway, I won't post here again if this is an illegitimate use of the forums. It's possible to subscribe if you want further editions, and I will be throwing in the odd Prom review, so look for it there.

Enjoy, and am happy to be moderated out of here if need be...
      No problem, WoC - but it will be good to have some of your ideas here too!

Most people (including me ) sometimes need a gentle reminder that the main focus of the forum is Radio 3, but related items on music, drama etc are absolutely fine.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Wheels of Cheese

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
        Nice idea, Pete. Insane but nice.

Only problem from my perspective: too many words, Mr Salmon, too many words.

It's so common in blogs.

Good luck!
        Ah yes, I do tend to go on a bit. It's the novelist in me...

Cheers

Pete

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

It's the novelist in me...
          Sounds interesting. Friend of yours?

"...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Naughty, Caliban, very naughty

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Holá Ruedas de Queso - in Spanish you sound like the name of a half-decent Rioja. Thinking about it your project sounds a bit like a musical equivalent of Morgan Spurlock's "Supersize me", if less injurious to health, other than mental. There must be a fair amount of dross even in Gramophone. Reassure us you don't have to listen to the end in every case. I've thought of a new acronym which might apply- LITS. Answers on a postcard.

Comment

• Wheels of Cheese

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                Holá Ruedas de Queso - in Spanish you sound like the name of a half-decent Rioja. Thinking about it your project sounds a bit like a musical equivalent of Morgan Spurlock's "Supersize me", if less injurious to health, other than mental. There must be a fair amount of dross even in Gramophone. Reassure us you don't have to listen to the end in every case. I've thought of a new acronym which might apply- LITS. Answers on a postcard.
                Yes, to the end. Of everything. If you're going for 'insane', best to go the whole hog. Will work on the acronym...

Love the Spanish translation!

Anyway, there's a new one up today. Onwards!

Comment

• Wheels of Cheese

Done a new one, I have. Martha Argerich and Friends, Lugano 2011. It's a beauty...

Comment

• Wheels of Cheese

Done a new one, I have. Martha Argerich and Friends, Lugano 2011. It's a beauty...

http://www.peter-salmon.co.uk/peters...els-of-cheese/
                    More Wheels of Cheese for your amusement and edification.

One of the challenges I set myself in writing Wheels of Cheese was that I would attempt to come at the pieces I was going to listen to with naught but a cursory glance at the title of the piece, eschewing the addictive activity of poring over liner notes and the vasty vasty fields of secondary texts that propagate outwards around any piece of work. I was to approach each piece as a newborn baby, rolling its way towards an electric heater, soon to find out the difference between good and, well, not so much... Wheels of Cheese #12 - out now

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

More Wheels of Cheese for your amusement and edification.

One of the challenges I set myself in writing Wheels of Cheese was that I would attempt to come at the pieces I was going to listen to with naught but a cursory glance at the title of the piece, eschewing the addictive activity of poring over liner notes and the vasty vasty fields of secondary texts that propagate outwards around any piece of work. I was to approach each piece as a newborn baby, rolling its way towards an electric heater, soon to find out the difference between good and, well, not so much... Wheels of Cheese #12 - out now

http://www.peter-salmon.co.uk/​peter...els-of-cheese/
                      'Not Found

Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.'
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Wheels of Cheese

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        'Not Found

Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.'
                        Odd... My apologies. Can be accessed here...

Comment

• Boilk
                          • Dec 2010

Wheels: how are the Amazon click-throughs going on Wheels of Cheese?

More seriously, can you point me to any site that offers guidance in amending (specifically) Amazon Associate cookies, with regard to EU Cookie Law compliance? Amazon have been a fat lot of use in volunteering any code/info.

Comment

• Wheels of Cheese

And so to the third and final disc of Martha Argerich’s set Live at Lugano 2011, and it’s another beauty. It’s not really news to anyone to say Argerich is a bloody good piano player but gosh, Argerich is a bloody good piano player. Wheels of Cheese 13, out now...

Comment

• Wheels of Cheese

Wish I could help - I have a web guy who does that. I'll ask, but apologies if anything gets lost in the translation...

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X