• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
    has anyone complained to the orchestra if some of its members re-tune during breaks?
    As long as they do it quietly, I think that's all right.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I once asked Malcolm Sargent if I and a friend could attent a recording session. He said "No, you might cough or sneeze". Don't orchestral players, not necessarily at a recording, sneeze, cough or otherwise make themselves heard?

Recently, probably because of the weather, I have had repeated sneezing fits of a lot of sneezes. Not a cold but very glad I've not been at a concert.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Salymap, your anecdotes of your meetings and dealings with famous composers and conductors never cease to amaze me.

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Salymap, your anecdotes of your meetings and dealings with famous composers and conductors never cease to amaze me.
          Well EA, it was just a job. Someone has to run around after the conductors and orchestral librarians and do the real work

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by salymap View Post
            I once asked Malcolm Sargent if I and a friend could attent a recording session. He said "No, you might cough or sneeze". Don't orchestral players, not necessarily at a recording, sneeze, cough or otherwise make themselves heard?

Recently, probably because of the weather, I have had repeated sneezing fits of a lot of sneezes. Not a cold but very glad I've not been at a concert.
            Old Flash Harry a bit precious then - He did a good Eroica with the RPO - HMV Concert Classics - I see now on a Disky double going for a silly high price on Amazon!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
              • Nov 2010

Regarding my earlier post about madam twitch at the Proms, one difficulty is that many people go violently on the defensive when they are perfectly aware that they are in the wrong. This was what happened to me when I politely asked her to stop and attempt to stand reasonably still. Her subsequent extreme reaction led us both to lose our cool. I should say that the outburst on both sides took place in the interval and not during the performance.

I think that part of the problem lies in the way in which audiences for all sorts of performances have a much shorter attention span. Many listeners are unable to concentrate for more than a few minutes at a time. This has become the norm, and leads to all the mindless coughing and fidgeting. As an example in another medium, it's almost impossible nowadays to find a television documentary which does not repeat its argument every few minutes just in case people cannot keep up.

Comment

• beakon

A couple more anecdotes to add ... A few years ago I lived in one of our large northern cities and regularly attended ballet performances there. The audience approach to the performances was the same as to most classical concerts, ie respectful silence. On one occasion I was given a ticket for Sleeping Beauty performed in another, not-too-far-away northern city (you'll see in a minute why I'm not specifying the locations - don't want to be lynched by citizens of either place!). Here the audience approach was quite different: they arrived with pop-corn, sweets and drinks a la cinema, chattered all the way through the musical prologue, and when the big waltz tune appeared, they sang along.

Another memorable occasion was a recital of Grieg by Leif Ove Andsnes in one of the aforesaid cities. During the first half of this concert a woman at the back of the stalls had a massive coughing fit which went on and on, and she really sounded as if she was about to breathe her last. She made no effort to leave the hall but just continued coughing and spluttering. Eventually the soloist stood up and very politely said he was finding it hard to concentrate and so would leave the stage until things had settled down (making no particular reference to anyone or anything). I think, had it been me making the noise, I'd have taken this as my cue to leave the hall (actually, had it been me, I'd have left a lot sooner!) but this lady clearly had no intention of leaving. It took a while, but in the end, her neighbours managed to persuade her that there was no way the recital was going to continue until she had gone ... so she left. When the soloist returned to the stage to continue, he got a standing ovation - we were all relieved that peace had been restored. And he dealt with the situation so graciously.

I now live in a largeish Midlands city, and in our concert hall here there are crackly bags of sweets on sale with the programmes before the concerts ...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

I don't mind being lynched - I guess that the first northern city was to the west of the Pennines, and the second was to the east. I live to the east, and the concert etiquette falls very much into the latter category.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by beakon View Post
                    I now live in a largeish Midlands city, and in our concert hall here there are crackly bags of sweets on sale with the programmes before the concerts ...
                    Since Ambassador Theatres took over management of the Theatre Royal in Glasgow people have been allowed to take drinks (in plastic glasses) into the auditorium during the performance. One of the disadvantages is that people put glasses of half-consumed drinks on the floor, which then get knocked over, sending rivulets of sticky liquids running down the floor. If you've tucked your coat out of the way under your seat ...

Comment

• Resurrection Man

+1

I detest inter-movement clappers. At least I am in the Arena next weekend and so can join in the baleful stares.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                        ...... it's almost impossible nowadays to find a television documentary which does not repeat its argument every few minutes just in case people cannot keep up.
                        That's because of the American market

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                          +1

I detest inter-movement clappers. At least I am in the Arena next weekend and so can join in the baleful stares.
                          It will serve you right if one or more of those showing the approbation move on from clapping to boxing your ears.

Comment

• beakon

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            I don't mind being lynched - I guess that the first northern city was to the west of the Pennines, and the second was to the east. I live to the east, and the concert etiquette falls very much into the latter category.
                            Actually, no ... well, the first city was correct but not the second. Interesting to know that things are the same in your neck of the woods - it was something I'd never experienced before. I obviously don't get out enough ...
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-08-12, 08:19. Reason: typo

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              It will serve you right if one or more of those showing the approbation move on from clapping to boxing your ears.
                              That's adding injury to insult!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

Just back from holiday and nice to see the same old arguments going round and round
                                and haven't had time to read all of this (wet tents to dry)
                                but
                                it's interesting that some of those who would rail against Cage's view of silence seem to have decided that it IS music after all and shouldn't be interrupted
                                (hoping to see mrP and Simon at the Stockhausen later in the month then )

Comment

Working...
                                X