• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
    Seems a well written article to me. I agree with him 100%. Happy clappers should be asked to leave.
    During or between movements? By "well written" I take it you mean it reinforces your prejudice against those who show their appreciation according to old, rather than relatively new, norms. Off to the ballet or opera with you where you can get truly hot under the collar.

Comment

• verismissimo
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      During or between movements? By "well written" I take it you mean it reinforces your prejudice against those who show their appreciation according to old, rather than relatively new, norms. Off to the ballet or opera with you where you can get truly hot under the collar.
      Go, Bryn!

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Surely you don't agree on etiquette with Sir Roger Norrington, Bryn?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

If Sir Roger says it, it must be right...

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Clapping between movements is equivalent to the infernal habit of walking down the street tweeting OTHERS that you are walking down the street tweeting while you are walking down the.....[contd p.94]

It is there to show OTHERS that you are having a soooper time BUT more particularly, that you want OTHERS to know that you are having a soooper time and that you know a lot about music by clapping approvingly in the right spaces. It's the desperate fear that you will not be noticed unless you show yourself doing something to show yourself.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Why does anyone, who has a different view to you, be automatically condemned with the word 'prejudice'?

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                Clapping between movements is equivalent to the infernal habit of walking down the street tweeting OTHERS that you are walking down the street tweeting while you are walking down the.....[contd p.94]

It is there to show OTHERS that you are having a soooper time BUT more particularly, that you want OTHERS to know that you are having a soooper time and that you know a lot about music by clapping approvingly in the right spaces. It's the desperate fear that you will not be noticed unless you show yourself doing something to show yourself.
                Very well said.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

it reinforces your prejudice
                  Since when was a rational point of view a "prejudice"? When it differs from your view?

EDIT: I see RM already made the same point...
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• gradus
                    • Nov 2010

Can't say I really care that much when people clap although I am of the generation that waited until the end, perhaps hat's why some of us shout 'Bravo' - pent up appreciation/excitement.
                    I can't bring to mind applause between solo recital or chamber music movements, yet it sometimes happens when sequences are programmed rather than single pieces.

Comment

• gradus
                      • Nov 2010

hat's why, that's why.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                        hat's why, that's why.
                        Idea: maybe people could silently throw their hats in the air between movements?
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

I take it you mean it reinforces your prejudice against those who show their appreciation according to old, rather than relatively new, norms. Off to the ballet or opera with you where you can get truly hot under the collar.
                          1. Those who applaud between movements are not (I would guess in c. 100% of the cases) doing so because they feel it to be an established 'norm' or any sort of 'norm': they are doing it because they feel like doing it.

2. 'Relatively' new means how new, approximately?

3. As Caliban says, if one has explainable reasons for preferring there to be no inter movement applause, that does not make it a prejudice.

4. In any case, the 'prejudice' is not against people ('those who show their appreciation &c'):it's against their 'relatively new' practice of applauding...

5. When did you last go to the opera or ballet and see/hear anyone getting '(truly) hot under the collar'? In fact, even at concerts, it seems to me that the majority politely tolerate the applause rather than make a fuss, even though they are irritated. But on a discussion forum it should hardly be inappropriate to express an opinion/preference.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• hafod
                            • Nov 2010

The second paragraph of a letter to the Guardian from Albert Beale on 14 August sums up my view on this subject completely.
                            Letters: If I'd been at that performance, I'd have got up and left and demanded my money back

Sad though it is, I now rarely attend orchestral concerts. Fortunately, I have a large record/cd collection and whilst I miss the frission of live music making, I can be assured that my listening will not be ruined by others invading my aural space.
                            Last edited by hafod; 17-08-13, 16:22.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

There may well be reasons why applauding in this way will become the 'norm', partly because people have become more unbuttoned and want to give way to spontaneous feeling (and are encouraged be so). When that does become the norm, one will have to sigh and put up with it, thinking back on the old days when we fuddy-duddies adopted the 'relatively new' practice of waiting until the work had finished before applauding. People either feel they have an obligation to applaud, or else they have a need to.

What does not seem to me to be a valid argument is that that's what was done 'in Mozart's day'; in which case, why are composers not now composing PROPER 4-movement symphonies? - I mean with a minuet for the third movement. I can't abide these modern, frivolous scherzo thingies.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                Surely you don't agree on etiquette with Sir Roger Norrington, Bryn?
                                As I have already mentioned, it's not something I tend to engage in myself, but unless it interrupts a pair of movements intended to be played attacca, it does not disrupt my concentration on the music. If one can hold the various musical subjects in memory and thus follow the form of a symphonic work, I find it difficult to see why a bit of applause, as against shuffling, coughing, retuning, etc., might ruin one's appreciation of a musical work/performance unless one was determined to have it ruined.

By and large I find Sir Roger Norrington one of the most musically engaging of conductors, though I part company with him where inserting Blumine into the final version of Mahler's 1st is concerned. He readily admits to being a bit of a thespian, and likes to interact face on to the audience now and then (you know, like the orchestral players do most of the time). He can also hold back applause when he wants, as at the end of Mahler 9, his direction of which I find the most draining (i.e. satisfying) I have encountered.

Comment

Working...
                                X