X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

"Happy clappers" counterblast: J. Duchen on "how to be a nice audience"

Given the recurring phenomenon of people (not too many, but enough to be noticed) applauding between movements of symphonies, well and truly started again at The Proms, this gem from Jessica Duchen's blog about audience etiquette might be worth discussing. Here are the ten points, with the take-home message bolded by me:

Classical music blog by journalist and author Jessica Duchen. Topics include classical music, opera, ballet, recordings, books. London, UK.

"How to be a nice audience

1. Be friendly. Smile at people on your way in and out of the hall. Say hello to your neighbour when they sit down. Chat a bit. Talk about the weather if you must, or ask them where they're from or how they like the performance. If they know more about the music than you do, ask them for the information you feel you lack. If you know more about it than they do, you might find out tactfully if there's anything they want to know that you can help with. And if someone speaks to you, don't instantly assume they are stark raving mad or have evil intent, unless either fact is obvious.

2. Don't talk while the music's on. If people are quiet, it's because they're there to listen, not because they're being snobby and superior. Listening to music is why people go to concerts. So if someone makes a noise, it's the equivalent of going to an art exhibition and jumping up and down in front of a Monet or Rembrandt making BOOGABOOGA signs. Nobody is out to intimidate you or infringe your human rights if they ask for quiet - it just makes sense that if you are stopping someone from enjoying the music, they won't be pleased. It's a communal activity and requires communal good sense. And switch off your phone.

3. Try to keep clapping for the end of an entire piece. But if people around you clap between movements, remember that it's an indication of enthusiasm and don't be horrid about it.

4. Take a shower, use deodorant and wear clean clothes. Being stuck adjacent to someone with poor personal hygiene for the duration of a concert is enough to put anyone off the environment for life. This is my single biggest bugbear about audiences, by the way.

5. If you're a sponsor and you want to have a reception, do try to book a private room rather than fencing off part of the bar with a sign saying PRIVATE RECEPTION and letting the rest of the audience stare at you resentfully while forking out ££s for their own drinks. It's kinder, it doesn't infringe on public space, and people will generally assume that if you're a sponsor you can afford it.

6. Music may be the food of love, but please don't snog while the music's on. It's really distracting for the people behind you. And if music is, alternatively, the love of food - please wait until the interval before eating your sarnies. See point 2.

7. If you're worried because you don't know anything about the music, then Google or Spotify it a day or two before the concert. It's easy. A plethora of information is available at the click of your mouse. As you'll already know if you're reading this blog.

8. If you do know a little about the music, please don't turn to your partner exchanging meaningful looks every time the soloist hits a wrong note. That's the kind of thing that can make the insecure feel more insecure because they don't know what's going on. Besides, the performer may have other qualities to offer - like depth, insight and beauty that aren't marred by the occasional fluff - and you might be missing them!

9. If you really think the musical crowd seem snotty, snobbish and entitled, you ain't seen nothing yet. Just try an exhibition private view at a major gallery.

10. Stop worrying about all this extraneous stuff. Just relax and listen to the music. You might be pleasantly surprised."
    For the Beethoven concerts, it may well be that a bunch of the audience are fairly new to classical, and maybe they can be cut some slack. But by the end, one hopes that enough of them start to "get it".
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
    Given the recurring phenomenon of people (not too many, but enough to be noticed) applauding between movements of symphonies, well and truly started again at The Proms, this gem from Jessica Duchen's blog about audience etiquette might be worth discussing.

For the Beethoven concerts, it may well be that a bunch of the audience are fairly new to classical, and maybe they can be cut some slack. But by the end, one hopes that enough of them start to "get it".
    Her Point 9 is sooooo true!

At one gallery private view I attended, a couple were viewing a large painting with a £20k price tag on it. The lady peering closely through lorgnettes, btw, turned to her enormous cigar-smoking husband (?), and said, animatedly, "I think it would look sooper over the fireplace, dear!"

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

On point 3, I would never be horrid about it, but that doesn't make it less annoying, particularly as it appears to be largely a Proms phenomenon. And it rarely sounds like enthusiasm - more a feeling that silence is a bad thing.

But on balance, a really well-considered and helpful list.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Her Point 9 is sooooo true!

At one gallery private view I attended, a couple were viewing a large painting with a £20k price tag on it. The lady peering closely through lorgnettes, btw, turned to her enormous cigar-smoking husband (?), and said, animatedly, "I think it would look sooper over the fireplace, dear!"
        At £20k it ******* ought to look nice !!

Edit,Personally, I would give it a decent dust and clean up every saturday morning !
        Last edited by teamsaint; 21-07-12, 22:33.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Ariosto

Tonight's Prom (SAT 21st July) had no clapping between movements.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

If someone sat down next to me & started behaving as suggested in no. 1 I'd call an attendant & have them removed. I prefer to spend the few minutes between taking my seat & the performance starting by gathering my thoughts (& probably calming down after rushing to reach the venue in time). If soemone started nattering to me I'd be very irritated. I assume that the writer is American - the obsession with personal hygiene in 4 suggests as much. How are people supposed 'take' a shower & change their clothes between leaving work, having something to eat & getting to the concert?

I'm afraid I find the suggestions patronising & unhelpful - likely to put off a neophyte rather than help them.

Comment

• umslopogaas
              • Nov 2010

But I thought the whole point of contemporary art was that the more you pay for it, the nastier it looks. Five quid will get you a nice reproduction of a Turner sunset in WH Smith, whereas for a rotting shark imperfectly preserved in formaldehyde in a glass tank, you have to pay a couple of million. And you cant get one of Bacon's Screaming Popes for any money.

I've got an idea for a great piece of modern art. A painting in homage to Bacon. Some copulating screw-worms on a bed of broken glass, smeared with dog faeces. Some suppurating cattle skin in the background (sorry, for those who dont know, screw-worms are flies whose maggots feed on the flesh of cattle). Must be worth a million at least, and Tate Modern will snap it up. So penetratingly perceptive of the mores of modern life, I think I'm in line for a prize and a column in a progressive newspaper.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Comment

• Ariosto

A couple I was sitting next to in the Wigmore 'all asked me which piece had just been played (when it had finished) so I told them, and a little about the next piece (String quartets). In the interval I talked to them - it was their first chamber music concert at the hall and they were keen to find out more. (They arrived without time to get a programme).

I see nothing wrong in giving people some hints, and even some inside knowledge. Music and the arts are a communal experience, and I learn from others and pass on such knowledge to others. That's why I enjoy back stage discussions with the performers. (And I even get a chance to look at and even try their instruments if I'm lucky and they realise that I've held a fiddle before, if they don't know me. I even get to find out fingerings and bowings sometimes, when I really want to bore everyone).

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

I am just gagging for the day when the conductor has the cojones to turns round and tell the clappers between movements very loudly to be heard on air to shut up

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                      I am just gagging for the day when the conductor has the cojones to turns round and tell the clappers between movements very loudly to be heard on air to shut up
                      ... if people around you clap between movements, remember that it's an indication of enthusiasm and don't be horrid about it.
                      There are some right stuck-up contributors to this board. Any (male) conductor who behaved as above would deserve a swift kick in the cojones.

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        There are some right stuck-up contributors to this board. Any (male) conductor who behaved as above would deserve a swift kick in the cojones.
                        Even if a male conductor did not behave like that a lot of them coud do with a kick in the cojones anyway!!

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

The inter-movement clapping used to really irritate me but I'm not bothered any more. There is going to be noise of some sort anyway so it may as well be applause as mass clearing of throats and shuffling of feet.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
                            Even if a male conductor did not behave like that a lot of them coud do with a kick in the cojones anyway!!
                            I think that was what might be called an open goal, Ariosto? Nicely put away, anyway
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              There are some right stuck-up contributors to this board.
                              Perhaps more a question of what people are prepared to tolerate rather than that they're stuck up? I mean, I can see people have a point when they object to me sounding my klaxon in time to the rhythm ....
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X