Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Quite something. Leinsdorf's LSO/Valkyrie (great cast) recording gets praised these days but there doesn't seem to be much else that gets mentioned. Seems like he's a 'sleeper', at least in the UK.

Comment

• seabright
      • Jan 2013

Bach-Elgar - Fantasy and Fugue in D minor - It's interesting that there are several non-British performances of this on YouTube. Well, it does make rather a splendid overture! ... Three videos first ...

From Russia with the State Academic Symphony Orchestra "Evgeny Svetlanov" conducted by Andrey Rubtsov ...

Бах-Элгар: Фантазия и фуга до минор. ГАСО Светланова / Андрей Рубцов

From Spain with the Youth Orchestra of the Madrid Community conducted by Jordi Frances ...

Festival Semana SantaAuditorio de San Lorenzo del Escorial17/4/2011Fantasy and Fugue in C minor - J.S. Bach/ E. ElgarJORCAM (Joven Orquesta de la Comunidad d...

Another young band, this time in America, the Symphony of the Mountains Youth Orchestra, based in Tennessee and conducted by Ross Bader ...

Performed by the Symphony of the Mountains Youth OrchestraRoss Bader, Conductor

Audio only ...

From America with the Philadelphia Orchestra conducted by Eugene Ormandy who omitted the percussion, so you don't get tambourines and glockenspiels! ...

Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra play Sir Edward Elgar's orchestral transcription of Bach's Fantasia and Fugue in C minor for organ (recorded 19...

Also from America with the Seattle Symphony conducted by Gerard Schwarz ...

Video of a wind band transcription of Elgar's arrangement by Capt. Ryan J. Nowlin played by the United States Marine Band under his direction ...

"The President's Own" United States Marine Band performed Johann Sebastian Bach's Fantasia and Fugue in C minor, BWV 537 at the Midwest Clinic. The piece was...

However, if you prefer it played by a British orchestra, here it is under Andrew Davis's baton all of 22 years ago! ...

Sir Edward Elgar's superb orchestration of Bach's Fantasia and Fugue in C minor was a highlight of the Last Night of the 2000 Proms at the Royal Albert Hall,...

Other recordings on YouTube include those made by Elgar himself, Albert Coates, Sir Adrian Boult and Leonard Slatkin.

Comment

• seabright
        • Jan 2013

Does anyone remember a "Tribute to Stokowski" concert given by the BBCSO under A. Davis back in 2001? ... It ended with Stokowski's orchestration of "Pictures at an Exhibition," the finale of which - organ, bells, gong crashes and all - brought the house down. As Paul Guinery remarked at the end, it made a "refreshing change" to hear a different arrangement ...

Mussorgsky's piano suite 'Pictures at an Exhibition' cried out to be orchestrated right from the start and indeed, Rimsky-Korsakov's pupil Mikhail Tushmalov ...

Comment

• seabright
          • Jan 2013

I wonder how many concert-goers, now well-struck in years of course, remember Stokowski's 90th Birthday concert in 1972. Interesting to see, shortly after the start of the "Mastersingers" Overture, the first violins adopting his "free-bowing" instructions. There you see John Georgiadis and the rest of his section bowing at will and thus producing the famous "Stokowski Sound." I wonder if any other conductors these days follow suit, or do they all insist on regimented bowing? ...

Leopold Stokowski's musical life began as an organist and choirmaster in London whilst he was still a teenager. His orchestral conducting debut took place in...

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

I happened on this performance by the Warsaw Philharmonic of the Enigma Variations and thought others might well enjoy it as I did, especially for the wonderful playing in the cello variation.
            Edward Elgar - Variations on an Original Theme (Enigma), Op. 36 (1898)00:00 Theme (Enigma: Andante)02:18 Variation I (L'istesso tempo) "C.A.E."04:12 Variatio...

Comment

• seabright
              • Jan 2013

I particularly like this non-British "Enigma" too. It's played by the Mannheimer Philharmoniker under the Bulgarian conductor Boian Videnoff. "Nimrod" isn't taken at a 'molto lento' tempo, a la Bernstein, but is very close to Elgar's own tempo in his 1926 recording, which is also available on YouTube ...

Comment

• seabright
                • Jan 2013

"Great Acting" ... In this 1989 TV programme, Simon Callow introduces rare interview clips with Ralph Richardson, Sybil Thorndike, Albert Finney, John Gielgud, Noel Coward, Edith Evans, Michael Redgrave, Richard Burton, Laurence Olivier, Vanessa Redgrave and Maggie Smith ... Underneath the video, first among the many laudatory comments, someone has written: "I really miss this BBC ... How far it has fallen" ... How right they are! ...

Comment

• seabright
                  • Jan 2013

Bramwell Tovey has died aged 69 on 12 July. Thanks to that great archive of classical performances, namely YouTube, we can see him in action at a Prom which featured several of Henry Wood's arrangements, including this one of a delightful piece by Percy Grainger ...

Comment

• gradus
                    • Nov 2010

Smashing! Thanks for posting it.
                    Made me wonder how many times this piece gets performed given the huge orchestra needed, in fact I think I've heard it more often in concert band arrangements.

Comment

• seabright
                      • Jan 2013

Glad you like it. I shouldn't think Wood's orchestration of Debussy's "Submerged Cathedral" gets played much either, when you see the huge array of church bells lined up in the gallery! ...

Comment

• seabright
                        • Jan 2013

Talking about arrangements, Martyn Brabbins and the BBC Philharmonic play the most famous Bach orchestration of them all in the superb acoustics of Worcester Cathedral ...

Comment

• seabright
                          • Jan 2013

I see that Michael Tilson Thomas is Conductor Laureate of the LSO but I don't know how often he conducts them these days. He's now 77 but here he is, a youthful 25-year old back in 1970, conducting the Sibelius 4th in Boston ...

Comment

• Maclintick
                            • Jan 2012

RAI Studios Turin 1962. Perfetto !

Comment

• silvestrione
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post

RAI Studios Turin 1962. Perfetto !
                              Superb, AM at his best! Thanks.

Comment

• Maclintick
                                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                                Superb, AM at his best! Thanks.
                                You're welcome. Here's a conductor with firm views on Beethoven's metronome marks. I wonder if he's heard of Roger Norrington, by the way....

Comment

Working...
                                X