Does the enjoyment of music fade with age ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roehre

For me the enjoyment of music hasn't faded since I started listening in 1970.
    But my taste has changed: developed, widened.
    It has defined the areas which I wanted to explore. Now basically leaving to be "done" the bulk of baroque music -especially the French baroque- and opera in general -though my wife recently pointed out that one shouldn't say that with some 150 different works on your shelves .

With developing my taste the excitement returned quite regularly too.
    Discovering Beethoven in the early 1970s -and classical music in general- meant: browsing through the RT and marking the Beethoven pieces, to be picked up on a cassette tape (still many of them in listenable working order btw) - and then the excitement of how the work would sound. I recall vividly a Beethoven series by Barenboim on Tele, and I taped the Eroica, i.e. the first mvt only, as that was what Barenboim explained. The excitement a couple of months later as the Radio 3 (or was it still the Third Programme then?) broadcast it in its entirety. Sleepless nights before that happening.....
    The fuga at the end of the Missa solemnis' Credo Et venturam still raises goosebumps, as it did as I heard it for the very first time around Easter 1972.

Mahler (1974), Bruckner (1975), Richard Strauss (1976) paved the way to the hot summer of 1976, in which I discovered Webern's Symphony op.28 and Ives' Symphony 4 within days - igniting the excitement of discovering the 20th Century [Webern, Berg and Schönberg as starting point]- and especially attending concerts with newly composed works.

Recently my excitement -still comparable with those early 1970s days- arose as I "invaded" the Renaissance again (did so in the early 1980s, then combined with exploring Stravinsky, Messiaen, Britten and Shostakovich) and for the first time got grip on how polyphony works. Really exciting. I was over the moon as Tallis', de Victoria's and Sweelinck's boxes arrived last year - and feel very happy with all those new experiences.

Striking me time and again are the links between works, who was influenced by whom - one cannot appreciate a mountain if one doesn't know how it looks like down there in the valleys. Exclusively staying at the summit one loses the sense of importance, impact, excitement of those high points. One loses a sense of perspective, of reference in that way. I find it exciting (always have found so) to be able to understand, to listen why Beethoven's (or Mahler's, or Vaughan Williams' or whose-ever) symphonies are that great as is said they are.

My enjoyment won't fade, my excitement can be ignited nearly when I want.
    But for me it certainly depends on listening to (for me) unknown works or eras - and listen again in amazement to all those works again which I thought I knew already.....

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Roehre:
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• PJPJ
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
        For me the enjoyment of music hasn't faded since I started listening in 1970.
        But my taste has changed: developed, widened.......
        A lovely post, Roehre, and long may that continue.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

I do find that I am not as thrilled by the core classics as I was, and long for new music more and more - hence the Saariaho Prom was welcome. And in any event, orchestral music is OK, but chamber music more and more excites me, as well as fine choirs that can still set the pulse racing.

Actually, R3's relentless concentration on the core 19th century European classics has done quite a lot to shut me out of R£. TTN is far more to my taste form time to time and Late Junction.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
            • Apr 2007

I'm still trying to get something out of all the 'classical' music I can get to hear, plus a certain amount of jazz, folk, rock, pop, etc. Some classical standards still defeat me however. Maybe there could come a time when I rush out to buy up massive amounts of baroque concerti grossi and trio sonatas but I'm not seeing it looming yet And I'm still waiting for most baroque opera to burst into my brain too...

What I do sense is that I'm not finding so much new (= previously unknown) stuff these days that really zaps me like it did 30 yrs ago (I'm 57). Possibly this is because I've now discovered all the really A1 stuff, and the unknowns I'm exploring are really just 2nd-raters. Or maybe my brain is just getting full?

Recent experience tells me that a work or performance can still knock me flat. I heard Krysia Osostowicz, Stephen Stirling and Michael Dussek play the Brahms Horn Trio last week at the Dante Festival down here in Cornwall, a work I've known for 35yrs and more but the first time I've ever heard it live. Stirling told us about the work's composition in the time just after B's mother's death, an unremarked quotation of an Austrian folk song in the 2nd mov't, a plausible imitation of a dying mother's last gasp in the 3rd, and a connection of hunting (and hunting horns) with 'pills to purge melancholy' (2nd as especially 4th mov'ts). Suddenly a work that had previously felt like 4 enjoyable but essentially disparate movements made total sense as an integrated work and emotional statement/ journey. Utterly unforgettable.

These perfomers were due to repeat it at Wigmore Hall last Sunday: did anyone catch it there??

I'll keep trying new stuff (of any age) in the hope of making great heart-warming discoveries, but perhaps there is something about ageing that leads to a greater reliance on revisiting past discoveries? Hope not, but it may be so I fear...
            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Ariosto

Does the enjoyment of music fade with age ?

NO!! It is the reverse! But people's attitude to life generally can fade with age. (Sex only once a day ...)

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                • Nov 2010

In recent years, thanks to companies like Naxos I have discovered many of the riches preserved in historical performances, often of very familiar works, and that has been quite a revelation for me. There are many works that I have loved for sixty years or more which I still love today. Now that I'm in my late seventies I do tend to listened to established favourites, and go to less trouble to explore the more challenging contemporary examples. I certainly don't avoid going to concerts which include new music, but from choice I go for the things that give me greatest pleasure. It has been said elsewhere that there are no established giants today, and I miss the recognisable fingerprints of composers from a slightly earlier generation, such as Tippett, Lutoslawski or Britten.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                  It has been said elsewhere that there are no established giants today
                  ... and disputed there also.

Nothing new with the feeling: the old Brahms told the young Mahler that they weren't any giants anymore, too.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                    • Nov 2010

My appetite for discovering new works is as keen as ever. With all the options now available for discovery, if anything it has increased with age (though I'm still in my 40's). With so much to explore it also easy to go back to well-known and well-loved works with a fresh ear and thereby discover more from them too. If I only had R3 however, I think the exact opposite would have happened, well at least with R3 in its present state.

Comment

• MaryGreen

I’m sure it doesn’t. From my own experience I can say that my great-grandfather, who is 94 now, is enjoying music as he never did before! He has no lack of time to rush, so it’s the best time for him to sit, relax and have a real pleasure from what he’s listening to. And anyway no matter how old are you if the music is of a certain high quality like this new disk of Beethoven’s works performed by Maxim Rysanov, Kristina Blaumane and Jacob Katsnelson (http://www.onyxclassics.com/cddetail.php?CatalogueNumber=ONYX4108) for example, then you’ll enjoy it in spite of anything! And there aren’t any variants!

Comment

Working...
                      X