X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

Antony Hopkins at 90

The many who remember Talking about Music might want to take a look at the back page reminiscences of Antony Hopkins in this month's IRR, he is shortly due to celebrate his 90th birthday.

I can still recall operating the tape machine at 1AA Portland Place for some of those incomparable broadcasts.

Happy Birthday to You !
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
    The many who remember Talking about Music might want to take a look at the back page reminiscences of Antony Hopkins in this month's IRR, he is shortly due to celebrate his 90th birthday.

I can still recall operating the tape machine at 1AA Portland Place for some of those incomparable broadcasts.

Happy Birthday to You !
    ???? see http://www.musicalpointers.co.uk/rev...ayConcert.html

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Must be an old copy of IRR, Ferret ...

We have been here before.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Must be an old copy of IRR, Ferret ...

We have been here before.
        Not so, french frank, it's this month's copy. July/ August 2012

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
          Not so, french frank, it's this month's copy. July/ August 2012
          Vairy strange! I was actually in contact with AH last year and he was touched to hear that R3 listeners had noticed his birthday and were sending him their good wishes. According to Who's Who he was born on the 21 March 1921, so is already 91 ...
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Vairy strange! I was actually in contact with AH last year and he was touched to hear that R3 listeners had noticed his birthday and were sending him their good wishes. According to Who's Who he was born on the 21 March 1921, so is already 91 ...
            It seems like only yesterday that I was sitting in the Kingsway Hall, playing in a recording of Sullivan's di Ballo overture by the so-called "New Symphony Orchestra" (Decca's name for a pick-up group) which was conducted by Antony Hopkins, .

And that was in 1957!

May I add my personal congratulations to one of the most interesting and versatile musicians of my generation.

HS

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
              It seems like only yesterday that I was sitting in the Kingsway Hall, playing in a recording of Sullivan's di Ballo overture by the so-called "New Symphony Orchestra" (Decca's name for a pick-up group) which was conducted by Antony Hopkins, .

And that was in 1957!

May I add my personal congratulations to one of the most interesting and versatile musicians of my generation.

HS
              The memory plays a few tricks with we old codgers and it may have been Anthony Collins who was conducting on that occasion, but my congratulations to the nonegarian still stand. (and I did meet him on one accasion in the late 1960s.

HS

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

It seems incredble age! My father will be 94 this year!

I met AH, just the once, when he was doing one of his tours and we had a good chat about Brahms's Ballade in G minor, which I was playing at the time. He gave me some useful advice on that piece!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                  • Nov 2010

Does anybody remember a concert he organised and compered at the RAH which was a sort of spoof concert a la Hoffnung? It included a performance of An American in Paris with Lord Montague of Beaulieu suitably attired, sitting in a vintage car in order to play the bulb horns on the dashboard. I also remember another event in which eight pianists on eight concert grands played the Hexameron Variations. The soloists include the young Howard Shelley and David Wilde. All the soloists wore black cloaks and removed their white gloves before sitting down to play.

Comment

Working...
                  X