Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vile Consort
    • Nov 2010

Beethoven Piano Concerto No 5 on CFP - from WH Smith's. I spent my bus fare and had to walk the 8 miles home over the moor. I must have been 13.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
      I give up,what's Beatle mania ?
      Quirky sound composition inspired by the songs of crickets.

but the first LP I bought myself was the first OMD album bought from Andy and Paul in the park in Meols

Comment

• Don Petter

I think my first would have been either Beethoven's 8th with Bohm or Mendelssohn's Italian with Krips, both on Decca 10" MPs.

Comment

• formbyman
          • Nov 2010

In 1953 I bought a 10 inch LP of songs by Hank Williams.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
            I think my first would have been either Beethoven's 8th with Bohm or Mendelssohn's Italian with Krips, both on Decca 10" MPs.
            Classy, right from the off, Don!
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Roehre

Summer 1971 in sales (costing me 4 weeks of pocket money):
              1) Mozart Eine kleine Nachtmusik/ Liszt Les Preludes/ Smetana Moldau /Brahms 4 Hungarian Dances (Karajan/BPO- DGG)
              2) Grieg Peer Gynt suites (Gewandhaus Leipzig/Sawallisch - Philips)

Comment

• aeolium
                • Nov 2010

The first LP I was given was a Fontana disc of Haydn's Trumpet Concerto with the Toy Symphony conducted by Paumgartner. The first one I bought was Beethoven symphonies 5/8 with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra conducted by William Steinberg (I think on MFP, about 7/6). I think the performances still stand up well.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

The first LP I was given was DECCA's The World of Gilbert & Sullivan, Vol1 when I was ten (I'd just sung Tit Willow in a Primary School concert). When I was released from the Care Home, my brother bought me Greig's Peer Gynt Suites coupled with the Symphonic Dances on HMV Concert Classics (the Philharmonis conducted by George Weldon) for my twelfth birthday.

The first LP I bought for myself was probably a 50p Woolworths Greatest Hits of Tchaikovsky - Carlini's World of Strings playing haemoraghing chumks. Full works didn't begin until I bought the magazine-with-10inch LP series The Great Musicians: Beethoven 1 & 6 (the RPO conducted by Charles Groves, magazine written by Robert Simpson) and Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto (played by Ralph Holmes). Woolworth's and Boots were my Record Dealers for the first three years and more of my collecting life! An increase in pocket money meant that I could move on to CfP releases.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    The first LP I was given was DECCA's The World of Gilbert & Sullivan, Vol1 when I was ten (I'd just sung Tit Willow in a Primary School concert). When I was released from the Care Home, my brother bought me Greig's Peer Gynt Suites coupled with the Symphonic Dances on HMV Concert Classics (the Philharmonis conducted by George Weldon) for my twelfth birthday.

The first LP I bought for myself was probably a 50p Woolworths Greatest Hits of Tchaikovsky - Carlini's World of Strings playing haemoraghing chumks. Full works didn't begin until I bought the magazine-with-10inch LP series The Great Musicians: Beethoven 1 & 6 (the RPO conducted by Charles Groves, magazine written by Robert Simpson) and Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto (played by Ralph Holmes). Woolworth's and Boots were my Record Dealers for the first three years and more of my collecting life! An increase in pocket money meant that I could move on to CfP releases.
                    I wonder what was the source of these and wheteher they've ever resurfaced on CD?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      I wonder what was the source of these and wheteher they've ever resurfaced on CD?
                      The Tchaik Vln Conc periodically resurfaces on obscure CD labels, but I've never seen or heard of any of the specially-made recordings appearing on CD. (Some of the recordings that appeared with the magazines were from the old VOX catalogue: Brendel/Walter Klein in the Mozart Pno Concs, for eggs.)

Comment

• rodney_h_d
                        • Nov 2010

I can remember quite clearly the first four LPs I spent my pocket &/or birthday money on and still have them all!

1. Beethoven 7 Amsterdam Concertgebouw/Erich Kleiber
                        2. Mozart 40 + Haydn 92 LSO/Krips
                        3. Beethoven 6 Philharmonia/Karajan
                        4. Beethoven 8 + Schubert Unfinished RPO/Beecham

My father already had Beethoven 5 Paris Conservatoire/Schuricht, but for some reason I hadn't yet got to know the Eroica!

Comment

• David-G
                          • Mar 2012

Mozart's 40th symphony. I can't remember the conductor or the orchestra. I bought this in 1965 on a school trip to the USSR, in "GUM" on Red Square in Moscow. I remember how one had to queue to get a ticket for the item; queue again to pay at the cashier; and then queue again at the first counter to pick up the record.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by David-G View Post
                            I remember how one had to queue to get a ticket for the item; queue again to pay at the cashier; and then queue again at the first counter to pick up the record.
                            Sounds like Foyle's Bookshop!

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by David-G View Post
                              .... I remember how one had to queue to get a ticket for the item; queue again to pay at the cashier; and then queue again at the first counter to pick up the record.
                              The same in Warsaw in the late 1970s and early '80s.
                              Btw, I recall a similar situation in a bookshop in Paris' Quartier latin in 1983 and 1984.
                              Students nicked too many books or so

Comment

• pursuivant
                                • Jul 2012

Primitive Eroica

my first LP was Beethoven's Eroica with Erich Kleiber and the Concertgebouw. I particularly remember the turnover point in the Funeral March, the feebly recorded drums and the awful edits in the last movement with gross changes of atmosphere. No wonder Kleiber re-recorded it a few years later, but what a great conductor..

Comment

Working...
                                X