Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

First 45 single: Russ Conway, Sidesaddle
    First EP: Kathleen Ferrier, Sally Gdns etc.
    First LP: Oscar Ghiglia classical guitar recital which included Dowland Fantasia P1 and Bach Prelude and Fugue BWV 998 (he didn't include the Allegro), The Dowland made a deep impression at age 15.

Comment

• Parry1912
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      It was good or maybe "It was just my imagination"...
      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
        • Apr 2007

My first LP was (is) a Saga disc of Hugh Bean and David Parkhouse playing violin encores - mono, 25p or was it 5/-? - from WHS Winchester sale in about 1970 or 71. Lots of standards like the Kreisler 'usual supects' but one or two off-the-beaten-track like Elgar's La Capriceuse.

I remember also my first full-price LP with money from my first 'real' (vac) job after leaving school and waiting to go to uni on a student grant (remember those?): Elgar Cello Conc with Du Pre. Some slight novelty in that it wasn't the 'proper' Baker Sea Pictures coupling but the Delius Concerto with Sargent. I had it all planned to get Sea Pictures later c/w the Mahler Ruckert Songs. Had to wait for the CD era to get the two Elgar works together with original sleeve artwork. That's proper!
        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          Shamefully to give it its full title
          It's Fab, It's Gear, It's the Searchers
          First mild culture
          Poet and Peasant and 1812 (second hand) Music For Pleasure LP
          Interesting you should mention the Searchers - they're in Falmouth in August and I 'm thinking of going to see them. J McNally and F Allen still with them!

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

My very first LP was one of Churchill's speeches on Decca which I had as a Christmas present in 1966. Even at the age of 12 I was fascinated by history and the Second World War. My second LP in January 1967 was the Band of the Grenadier Guards on a Decca LP called 'Sounds of Victory' which featured the theme to 'The Valiant Years' which I was desperate to have.

My first classical LP was a Fontana disc of Wagner overtures played by the LSO/Antal Dorati and the Detroit SO/Paul Paray.

I've still got all of my LP's but no longer have the means to play them!
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

... I think it must have been around 1964, I remember saving up my pocket-money for quite a few weeks for a trip to Milsom's record shop in Bath to buy -

Bach Brandenburg Concertos, Harry Newstone / Hamburg Chamber Orchestra, saga records

Bach concertos for 2, 3, and 4 harpsichords, Karl Ristenpart / Chamber Orch of the Sarre. nonesuch records
              Last edited by vinteuil; 14-07-12, 10:13.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Led Zeppelin II. Bought in 1973 with my dinner money. Each day I took a clump of cheese from the fridge, bread and an apple for about 2 weeks and saved enough to buy the album.

I am thinking of owning up to my elderly parents about what was really going on with my school dinner money between 1973 & 1976

Made In Japan, Nursery Cryme & Larks Tongues In Aspic were acquired by the same method during the ensuing months!

P.S. I still love a cheese sandwich and an apple to this day!
                P.P.S. Though older, Michael Nyman went to the same school - I wonder if he did the same thing, but bought the wrong albums!?
                Last edited by Guest; 14-07-12, 10:26. Reason: mind your own business

Comment

• clive heath

Apologies to S-A, I should have said "the Bill Haley LP with "Rock around the Clock" on it", duh. And.. in the wee small hours it came to me that the Sinatra LP that was my first purchase was, in fact, "A Swinging Affair" which was notable not only for the Riddle contibution but also for the fact that the sequence of tracks was programmatic: falling in love, being in love, losing, and ultimately, drowning the sorrows as in "One for My Baby...".

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                    • Nov 2010

My first LP played on a Pye Black Box in about 1952, Furtwangler conducting Brahms Haydn Variations on EMI. It was probably a transfer from 78s.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

It was September 1964. I had just started at grammar school when I won 10/- in a competition on a children's classical music TV programme* - they had a boy & girl winner each week in a quiz. This is how I spent the money, my first LP. I still have it:

I remember that one of the answers was the overture to Offenbach's Orpheus in the Underworld, but I don't remember anything else.

[* I'll say that again - a children's classical music programme! On BBC TV! ]

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                        Led Zeppelin II. Bought in 1973 with my dinner money. Each day I took a clump of cheese from the fridge, bread and an apple for about 2 weeks and saved enough to buy the album.

I am thinking of owning up to my elderly parents about what was really going on with my school dinner money between 1973 & 1976

Made In Japan, Nursery Cryme & Larks Tongues In Aspic were acquired by the same method during the ensuing months!

P.S. I still love a cheese sandwich and an apple to this day!
                        P.P.S. Though older, Michael Nyman went to the same school - I wonder if he did the same thing, but bought the wrong albums!?
                        Less cultured folk settled for a packet of 10 No 6 and a box of matches !(and some C90's to record mate's albums !)
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          Less cultured folk settled for a packet of 10 No 6 and a box of matches !(and some C90's to record mate's albums !)
                          Yes that was me,dinner money on fags from 12 years old and paying the price now healthwise.

My first LPs bought with my Saturday job earnings were-

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

That was one of those Beethoven 5 recordings that were rather Scrooge-like in their meanness of playing time. If the engineers could not manage to squeeze it on to a single side, they might at least have pressed it on a 10 inch disc.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              10 no.6 were 10 1/2p!

I gave up 10 years ago having progressed to B&H

P.S. I don't recall cassettes being around in '73

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                                10 no.6 were 10 1/2p!

I gave up 10 years ago having progressed to B&H

P.S. I don't recall cassettes being around in '73
                                They most certainly were. I taped from december 1970 onwards (and most of them still in a listenable working order too )
                                But B&H and Gauloises I only recall from the smokey outfits of my mates, I'm afraid

Comment

Working...
                                X