X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

First LP

The current Rolling Stones 50th anniversary reminded me of my first ever LP purchase, aged 14 in 1964. (I've still got it, beaten up and almost unplayable). I surprised myself the other day in the newsagents by buying on spec a magazine called Mojo which had a cover disc called The Roots of the Rolling Stones. It turns out to be an enjoyable compliation of old R&B and Blues tracks, including stuff like Slim Harpo doing that album's first track on Side Two, I'm a King Bee.
    Slim Harpo (January 11, 1924 -- January 31, 1970) was an American blues musician. He was known as a master of the blues harmonica and the name "Slim Harpo" w...
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

This was mine:

A1 Il mio tesoro
    A2 Dalla sua pace
    A3 Bildnisarie
    A4 O wie ängstlich, O wie feurig: Die Entführung aus dem Serail
    B1 Max's Aria: Durch die Wälder, durch die Auen: Der Freischütz
    B2 Hoffmann's Aria (Act 2): The Tales of Hoffmann
    B3 The Flower Song: La fleur que tu m'avais jetée: Carmen
    B4 Aubade: Le roi d'Ys

I bought it because we had an ancient recording of RT singing 'Pedro the Fisherman' and I liked the sound of his voice ....\

While I'm editing, here's RT singing Pedro the Fisherman ...
    Last edited by french frank; 13-07-12, 23:47. Reason: Added accents. And link.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

i treasured for decades a cassette recording from Capital Radio - a programme of the originals that the Stones had nicked .... brilliant programme but can not remember the dj .... possibly about 6pm on a Saturday evening in about '72

however i think that this was my first lp

listen here
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

My first Lp was Alexander Gibson conducting the SNO in Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony on CfP+. I had heard them play it the night before at a 'Prom' concert in June 1977 and it blew my socks off. Life would never be the same again.

(+ He wasn't Sir at this point and they hadn't been prefixed Royal.)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

My first LPs were two, bought at the same time, having involved an awful lot of saving up. One was a Kenny Ball album, , title long forgotten; the other a recording of Shostakovitch Symphony No 1 coupled with Prokofiev's "Classical", conducted by Efrem Kurz (sp?), but can't remember the orchestra. I do remember, from the liner notes, Kurz being mentioned as having wired the composer, prior to recording, to check if the metronome markings on the score were correct, and being told they were. Funny the things one does remember...

Comment

• JohnSkelton

My first lps were bought with a staff discount, because I had a Saturday job in W.H. Smith (my best friend had a Saturday job in Woolworth's two doors down: it wasn't as genteel but they paid more). I bought Markevitch's recording of The Rite of Spring on Cfp and Oistrakh Trio Schubert piano trio in B flat (also Cfp), The Clash's The Clash and The Modern Lovers' The Modern Lovers.

Comment

• umslopogaas
              • Nov 2010

It was a long time ago, but I think my first purchase was the Decca 2 disc set of Mahler's Symphony no. 2 with the LSO under Solti. I believe I heard it at a friend's and had to have it. It had pride of place in the window display of the local record shop. I cant imagine where I found the money, two top price Deccas in those days was a lot of cash, but somehow I scraped it together and carried it proudly home. I soon wrecked it, our little Dansette wasnt up to coping with Decca's Full Frequency Stereophonic Sound. A few years ago I found a good secondhand copy, and I played it quite recently, it still sounds fantastic.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JohnSkelton View Post
                I bought Markevitch's recording of The Rite of Spring on Cfp
                I bought that Lp having no idea what it would sound like. It was odd music but the more I listened to it the greater I came to love it. (I remember my Dad HATED it!!)

I now have it on Testament.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

The first LP my father bought was a 10 inch Columbia of Dinu Lipatti and the Philharmonia Orchestra under Karajan performing the Schumann Piano Concerto. I must have been six at the time. Mum used to come rushing into the room because every time the finale started I would turn the volume up to maximum. How I loved that concerto - and still do! I played it over and over, and it became the first concert work I managed to memorise from start to finish - a process of mental accumulation that has continued to this day.

Many years later, Dad persuaded me to buy the CD of this recording for his 90th birthday, and we were both very disappointed to observe that the recording quality wasn't even as good as the original - which I still have and have now cleaned up. Very little wear on it. They were tough, those early 33 rpm's

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

I'm not absolutely sure but I think my first LP was of RVW's symphony no 6, with Boult and the LSO, not the LPO as all the others were by him. It was a 10 inch disc with a lovely cover/sleeve.

I still have it.

Comment

• hafod
                      • Nov 2010

Tchaikovsky Pathétique on Heliodor. It was a Polish orchestra conducted (I think) by Rowicki. It was 1959 and my twin brother had been on at me for some time to sell him my stamp collection. I bought this LP with some of the proceeds and a few days later spent the remainder on Brahms 2 with Furtwangler and the LPO on Ace of Clubs. I bought the latter because I liked the music and did not discover until a few years later how big a cheese Furtwangler was.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                        I'm not absolutely sure but I think my first LP was of RVW's symphony no 6, with Boult and the LSO, not the LPO as all the others were by him. It was a 10 inch disc with a lovely cover/sleeve.

I still have it.
                        A very adventurous first buy, if I may say so, saly!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Mine was Handel's Water Music with Boyd Neel and his orchestra on Decca Ace of Clubs. I later replaced it with a Thurston Dart recording - and regretted it.

I see it's still available as a download.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                            My first Lp was Alexander Gibson conducting the SNO in Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony on CfP+. I had heard them play it the night before at a 'Prom' concert in June 1977 and it blew my socks off. Life would never be the same again.

(+ He wasn't Sir at this point and they hadn't been prefixed Royal.)
                            I had a similar Tchaik 4 experience with the Leningrad Phil and Arvid Jansons back in about 1970 at Sheffield city Hall. My first LP purchse was Beethoven Eroica PO Klemperer 33CX1346

Comment

• salymap
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              A very adventurous first buy, if I may say so, saly!
                              I'd heard it live at the RFH and fell inlove with it. I did have lighter stuff on old 78s including a lot of Spike Jones and his City Slickers

Comment

Working...
                              X