X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

A Sad Retirement

I was very sorry to see that the Leopold String Trio has retired (as an ensemble - a review of its last concert in the Grauniad). They have been an outstanding group playing music for string trio and piano quartet especially, and there are not that many ensembles of their type around. The string trio repertoire is not large but contains some great works, as does the repertoire for piano quartets. After the retirement of the Florestans (and a few years back the Lindsays) chamber music has suffered some losses of late. Let's hope that new groups will spring up to replace them.
  • amateur51

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
    I was very sorry to see that the Leopold String Trio has retired (as an ensemble - a review of its last concert in the Grauniad). They have been an outstanding group playing music for string trio and piano quartet especially, and there are not that many ensembles of their type around. The string trio repertoire is not large but contains some great works, as does the repertoire for piano quartets. After the retirement of the Florestans (and a few years back the Lindsays) chamber music has suffered some losses of late. Let's hope that new groups will spring up to replace them.
    Very sad indeed, as you say aeolium

Keep an eye on the string concerts at Wigmore Hall and you'll find that there is a steady supply of good young ensembles coming through, which is very heartening as I glide through being 60

Comment

• Pianorak
      • Nov 2010

. . . After the retirement of the Florestans . . .
      Their final series of concerts was given in London in January 2012

No idea they had retired. They used to be regular and welcome visitors to Reading.
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

I am sorry, too: the Leopolds gave an excellent broadcast of the Mozart Divertimento some years ago, and the best Live performance of the Schoenberg I've heard. That work should surely have been on their final programme.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

After the retirement of the Florestans (and a few years back the Lindsays)
          And in between them(?), the Beaux Arts Trio. I missed the news that the Florestans had split up.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            And in between them(?), the Beaux Arts Trio. I missed the news that the Florestans had split up.

Seems to be as much as anyone knows.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

I wasn't sure of the age range of the musicians in these groups, but the Leopold group is relatively young. Just because the Amadeus and the Lindsays managed to stay together for aeons, and other groups, such as the Beaux Arts Trio keep reconstituting themselves, doesn't mean that all small chamber groups must follow suit.

In the meantime, it is possible to see some of the Leopold Trio's work - http://www.leopoldstringtrio.com/

Comment

• Osborn

Oh dear, I thought this would be about the loss of Mark Boucher and Brett Lee...

Comment

Working...
                X