How many Hammer blows does it take to fell a Mahlerian tree? (ans: five??)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • prokkyshosty
    • Oct 2024

How many Hammer blows does it take to fell a Mahlerian tree? (ans: five??)

So now we're up to FIVE hammer strokes in Mahler's Sixth?? This is quite the arms race -- I'm holding out until we find a dozen or more.

• Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

This post got no response back in 2012....

Worth resurrecting (I know, wrong Mahler symphony) as a suitable place to point out that the LSO have acquired a new Hammer Box for their Mahler 6 this Thursday (19/5/16) in the Barbican under Antonio Pappano.

Quite apart from that, Pappano in Mahler 6 is an intriguing prospect. Plus Ms Mullova in Shostakovich VC#1. Pretty good concert...!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

A long evening! Punters are certainly getting there monies worth! I hadn't got Pappano down as a Mahler conductor so this will indeed be an intriguing listen.

I already have my ticket for the Rattle/LSO Mahler 6 on SSR's 62nd birthday next year (Jan 19) when, presumably, the new hammer box will get another airing if it's not shattered after Thursday's concert.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Were you there to have your timbers shivered, jean?

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I was - and I did find it slightly disappointing, after all the hype.

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Not as good as the tea chest that I saw used once, 'played' by a percussionist wielding a very long handled wooden mallet and offering the delightful prospect of a miss.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by prokkyshosty View Post
              So now we're up to FIVE hammer strokes in Mahler's Sixth?? This is quite the arms race -- I'm holding out until we find a dozen or more.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...mahler-643771/
              Interesting - not so much for the five hammerblows, as for the fact that there was enough demand in Pittsburgh for concerts to be repeated twice (three performances in all). Does that ever happen in London?

The performances were recorded for release on CD. At the time the article was written the Music Director wasn't sure if they would use the five blows version - does anyone know which version they eventually issued?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                This post got no response back in 2012....

Worth resurrecting (I know, wrong Mahler symphony) as a suitable place to point out that the LSO have acquired a new Hammer Box for their Mahler 6 this Thursday (19/5/16) in the Barbican under Antonio Pappano.

Quite apart from that, Pappano in Mahler 6 is an intriguing prospect. Plus Ms Mullova in Shostakovich VC#1. Pretty good concert...!

There is a live Mahler 6 with Pappano from a few years back on EMI - it is very exciting .

Antonio Pappano's recording may not be to everyone's taste, but this pulverising, warts-and-all Sixth really gets under your skin, writes Tim Ashley

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  A long evening! Punters are certainly getting there monies worth!
                  22.05 finish - there'll have been some rushing off for last trains...

(Thanks for reminding us of that earlier Pappano Mahler 6 recording from Rome, Barbirollians)

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

Mr Cline makes other instruments too

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                      • Dec 2010

Unimpressed by the sound it made on Radio 3. More of a slap than a thud; I would suggest it should be rather felt than heard. I maintain my preferred option: two large wooden boxes, wrapped in thick cloth, one on top of the other, and struck with a sledgehammer. A terrifying sound.

Comment

• greenilex
                        • Nov 2010

I'd hammer in the morning...

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                          Unimpressed by the sound it made on Radio 3. More of a slap than a thud; I would suggest it should be rather felt than heard.
                          Difficult, in a radio broadcast. Unless you have incredibly amazing audio equipment.

I maintain my preferred option: two large wooden boxes, wrapped in thick cloth, one on top of the other, and struck with a sledgehammer.
                          But is that what Mahler specified? He wanted hammerblows of fate that felled his hero, not "a terrifying sound".

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            Difficult, in a radio broadcast. Unless you have incredibly amazing audio equipment.

But is that what Mahler specified? He wanted hammerblows of fate that felled his hero, not "a terrifying sound".
                            The bass drums and timpani came over very effectively online and played through my audio equipment, and the hammer sounded lighter (ie at a higher frequency) than them, so a slap. What does a hammerblow of fate sound like?
                            Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 20-05-16, 09:08.

Comment

Working...
                            X