X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clive heath
    • Jun 2024

Vintage Haitink from the Proms

Admirers of Bernard Haitink's conducting may already have enjoyed Mahler's Symphony No.9 with the Concertgebouw from a Prom which is to be found on my website, although they have kept quiet about it! Nevertheless two more selections are available namely
    Tchaikovsky's Symphony No.6 with the same orchestra and Mahler's Symphony No.2 ,"The Resurrection" from the London Philharmonic Orchestra
    with the BBC Men's Chorus, BBC Choral Society, London Philharmonic Choir and soloists: Margaret Price (soprano) and Norma Procter (contralto). The Tchaikovsky was the last item in the concert and is followed by an encore to general merriment. I did not know Mahler2 so I have no point of comparison as to quality but it seems pretty good to me. There is more harmonic invention than I find in the symphonies I know better 1,4,5 and 9. Maybe there are one or two borders who were at these concerts!! You will find these three selections and much, much more at
    Clive Heath transcribes 78 records onto CD and gets rid of the crackle.
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Very many thanks for this Clive!

And special thanks for adding another Haitink Mahler 2 to my collection (my 8th). Sadly too young to have been there (I was 15 in 1969) I was at another Prom performance of Mahler 2 with Haitink and the LPO exactly nine years later, Aug 14 1978. Would love to hear that one again!
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Very many thanks for this Clive!

And special thanks for adding another Haitink Mahler 2 to my collection (my 8th). Sadly too young to have been there (I was 15 in 1969) I was at another Prom performance of Mahler 2 with Haitink and the LPO exactly nine years later, Aug 14 1978. Would love to hear that one again!
      Just echoing Petrushka, clive - your hard work and discrimination are much appreciated

Comment

Working...
      X