X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Pulse

I'm a bit miffed that nobody ever taught me about the concept of pulse in classical music. Not possessing those large musical dictionaries, could we discuss the matter here? Is pulse primarily for the performer to establish or for the composer to dictate ? Plenty of subsidiary material here I imagine . .
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    Is pulse primarily for the performer to establish or for the composer to dictate ?
    A bit of a can of worms there, Alison! A bit of both, I'd say. I always treat metronome marks as a recommendation, but some performers like to use it to dictate.

Pulse itself cannot be heard. Take Holst's Planets Suite. In Mars, the pulse is inescapable, yet in the movement that follows, Venus the pulse, though inaudible, is there just the same.

I often think that rock musicians like to live in houses with huge amounts of scaffolding.

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

Thanks EA, good examples. It seems to be certain performers and critics that discuss 'pulse' and rarely if ever composers. Herbert von Karajan a keen pulse merchant.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Thanks EA, good examples. It seems to be certain performers and critics that discuss 'pulse ' and rarely if ever composers.
        ?
        Why do you say that ?

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

Just my impression Gongers. Perhaps I'm trying to establish if pulse is a universally recognised piece of musical terminology.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Just my impression Gongers. Perhaps I'm trying to establish if pulse is a universally recognised piece of musical terminology.
            yes
            but not everyone calls it that (in my experience)

Indian classical music is often full of unstated pulse much more than in the Western Classical Tradition

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

Where is Ferney when you need him ??

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

This was discussed on another thread a few weeks ago. If I remember where I'll post the link!
                Edit: found it! - posts no 91 and following

Comment

• Alison
                  • Nov 2010

Great stuff !! Missed on first appearance.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

I felt the same way as you in your OP, Alison. I will have to reread those posts in the other thread to refresh my memory of what was said. It's an interesting concept....

Comment

• Alison
                      • Nov 2010

Yes, I'm a shade tired now but feel there's still more to be said and explained !

What was that old song ? - There are more questions than answers .....

Comment

• Ariosto

The pulse or the beat as it is often called is always a subject for discussion amongst musicians.

If I have a crotchet up beat in 4/4 time in a Beethoven quartet, then the rest of the quartet, and in a real case scenario the cellist in particular has to sundivide this crotchet into two quavers, as he/she is the rhythm section for the first few bars playing even and regular quavers. (Beethoven Op 18 No 4 in C minor).

If he/she is confused by my upbeat then the whole thing rocks, and the rehearsal inevitable then turns to a discussion about speed (Pulse, metronome marking etc), and how to signal this better once agreement is reached.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Yes, I'm a shade tired now but feel there's still more to be said and explained !

What was that old song ? - There are more questions than answers .....
                          #

The Nash ensemble, I think that was !!
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• verismissimo
                            • Nov 2010

Apologies if this has already been said - but of course pulse is a suggestive metaphor derived presumably from the feeling of human pulse.

Comment

Working...
                            X