X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VodkaDilc
    • Sep 2024

Interview with Simon Rattle (Hay Festival) - Sky Arts

Something I've just stumbled on by accident (I wish someone had alerted me, so that I had not missed the beginning): Simon Rattle being interviewed by Tom Service at Hay. Fascinating stuff (adverts on at present.) I hope it's repeated sometime. This programme's on Sky Arts 1.
  • VodkaDilc

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
    Something I've just stumbled on by accident (I wish someone had alerted me, so that I had not missed the beginning): Simon Rattle being interviewed by Tom Service at Hay. Fascinating stuff (adverts on at present.) I hope it's repeated sometime. This programme's on Sky Arts 1.
    It turned out to be interesting, so anyone who gets the chance to see a repeat would probably enjoy it. What I did not realise, having just had experience of Tom Service as a writer in The Guardian, is how much he has yet to learn as an interviewer. His questions were often longer than SR's answers. It was a giveaway when, at the end, he asked whether the audience had any questions for "Simon or me". He's the star and you are an interviewer, Mr S!

Comment

• Panjandrum

It turned out to be interesting, so anyone who gets the chance to see a repeat would probably enjoy it. What I did not realise, having just had experience of Tom Service as a writer in The Guardian, is how much he has yet to learn as an interviewer. His questions were often longer than SR's answers. It was a giveaway when, at the end, he asked whether the audience had any questions for "Simon or me". He's the star and you are an interviewer, Mr S!
      Thanks for the heads up Voddy. I've scoured the listings but can't see any repeats scheduled; but that's one of the differences between SkyArts and BBC4.

Did "On Her majesty's" do his usual schtick of summarising his interlocutor's responses for us poor nitwits at home? His other example of interviewing "technique" is to ask a question and then breathlessly talk around it, giving all possible answers before passing the baton over, at which point the poor interviewee generally looks bewildered. Although, I expect Rattle had sufficient artillery to get in a few telling shots of his own.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
        Thanks for the heads up Voddy. I've scoured the listings but can't see any repeats scheduled; but that's one of the differences between SkyArts and BBC4.

Did "On Her majesty's" do his usual schtick of summarising his interlocutor's responses for us poor nitwits at home? His other example of interviewing "technique" is to ask a question and then breathlessly talk around it, giving all possible answers before passing the baton over, at which point the poor interviewee generally looks bewildered. Although, I expect Rattle had sufficient artillery to get in a few telling shots of his own.
        Yes, exactly that! He really needs to study the technique of some of the great interviewers - or perhaps examine the concise style of Robert Jay, QC in the Leveson Inquiry.
        When I looked for repeats they all seemed to feature mayor Boris. It's wonderful to have access to these Hay functions though - without getting soaked in the English/Welsh countryside.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

My view is that Sir Simon Rattle is one of the great conductors of the age. We do not see enough of him; certainly not in an hour-long discussion. In my view this was/is worth mentioning. To use FF's term, "really worth mentioning". Does R3 still have interviews of this length? Private Passions, I suppose, but that has musical extracts.

I might add that I have no interest in arguments or squabbles.

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

You are spot on with your viewpoint VodkaDilc. Tom Service liked the sound of his own voice too much. In my view he totally spoilt the interview. Some of his questions were toe curlingly crass too.

Comment

• Beef Oven

My view is that Sir Simon Rattle is one of the great conductors of the age. We do not see enough of him; certainly not in an hour-long discussion. In my view this was/is worth mentioning. To use FF's term, "really worth mentioning". Does R3 still have interviews of this length? Private Passions, I suppose, but that has musical extracts.

I might add that I have no interest in arguments or squabbles.
              I agree.

Was a big fan of Sir Simon of Rattles back in his CBSO days and attended some great concerts in Birmingham and London (esp. Nielsen cycle).

Went off him when he made those disgraceful remarks about Sinopoli's leadership of the Philharmonia.

Was disappointed when they didn't give the BPO to Danny, nearly as much as I was when they gave it to Abbado not Haitink (although Haitink was probably too Dutch-laid-back to be interested in such a responsibility).

Always grateful for his recordings of non-mainstream stuff - Maw's Odyssey, Szymanowski's Kroll Roger etc etc

Have come full circle and consider us lucky to have such an energetic and talented compatriot - wish he'd learn to speak German though

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                I agree.

Was a big fan of Sir Simon of Rattles back in his CBSO days and attended some great concerts in Birmingham and London (esp. Nielsen cycle).

Went off him when he made those disgraceful remarks about Sinopoli's leadership of the Philharmonia.

Was disappointed when they didn't give the BPO to Danny, nearly as much as I was when they gave it to Abbado not Haitink (although Haitink was probably too Dutch-laid-back to be interested in such a responsibility).

Always grateful for his recordings of non-mainstream stuff - Maw's Odyssey, Szymanowski's Kroll Roger etc etc

Have come full circle and consider us lucky to have such an energetic and talented compatriot - wish he'd learn to speak German though
                Agreed on all counts! I didn't hear the interview of questionable serviceability (although I know how these things are usually "conducted"!), so I wonder if it touched upon his recent Bruckner 9 which is attracting (and deserving) so much interest, not least on another thread here...

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                  Agreed on all counts! I didn't hear the interview of questionable serviceability (although I know how these things are usually "conducted"!), so I wonder if it touched upon his recent Bruckner 9 which is attracting (and deserving) so much interest, not least on another thread here...
                  I didn't catch the interview either. All this talk has whetted my appetite - think I'll play his reconstructed 9 now!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Sums up my attitude, too.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

he made those disgraceful remarks about Sinopoli's leadership of the Philharmonia.
                      Wha'd'ee say wha'd'ee say???
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        It's a long story and only for the most select people to know

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

It's a long story and only for the most select people to know
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            It isn't exactly clear what Rattle said but you get the drift ....

Comment

• amateur51

Was disappointed when they didn't give the BPO to Danny, .
                              I nearly tiddled myself with delight when that happened, almost as good as when the Tories declined to elect Heseltine.

But I can be funny that way

Comment

Working...
                              X