X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Daphnis et Chloe Centenary

Tomorrow, June 8, sees the 100th anniversary of the first performance of Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe.

This, for me, is Ravel's great masterpiece and I shall be playing the recording made by the man who conducted that premiere - Pierre Monteux.

(WHY does one spot a typo in the title only after one has posted? Can someone please correct?)

Ed: Done! ff
    Last edited by french frank; 07-06-12, 22:46.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • maestro267
    • Nov 2010

Thank you for the heads-up. Will play my recording of it tomorrow.

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

Good shout. Several CD versions to choose from. 3 Haitinks, Abbado, Previn, Rattle, Boulez, Dutoit, Gergiev and Chung come to mind.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        Good shout. Several CD versions to choose from. 3 Haitinks, Abbado, Previn, Rattle, Boulez, Dutoit, Gergiev and Chung come to mind.
        And the 1955 Boston SO/Munch. One of the best ever recorded in my opinion, but on this occasion it surely has to be Monteux's wonderful 1959 disc with the LSO.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          Tomorrow, June 8, sees the 100th anniversary of the first performance of Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe.

This, for me, is Ravel's great masterpiece and I shall be playing the recording made by the man who conducted that premiere - Pierre Monteux.

(WHY does one spot a typo in the title only after one has posted? Can someone please correct?)
          Thanks for the heads up on this. At 1 minute past midnight I will spin the full ballet. Dutoit or Abbado - although as a Philistine, I actually prefer the suites

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
            Thanks for the heads up on this. At 1 minute past midnight I will spin the full ballet. Dutoit or Abbado - although as a Philistine, I actually prefer the suites
            I think you are in good company , Beefy.
            Anyway, since there will no doubt be a love in over this,and why not, I shall join in and give it a whirl tomorrow. The suites prolly. In fact doing so now.even though it's still today.
            Abbado/LSO.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              I think you are in good company , Beefy.
              Anyway, since there will no doubt be a love in over this,and why not, I shall join in and give it a whirl tomorrow. The suites prolly. In fact doing so now.even though it's still today.
              Abbado/LSO.
              I bet you open your Christmas presents early too

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

I bet you open your Christmas presents early too
                last one to open them.
                and they are almost always CD's. They all complain..."don't you want somthing different", but I make it so easy for them...and now that I know, (thanks to FOR3 Forum) that its ok(in fact essential) to have endless versions of the same music, they have no pressure at all. I am the ideal pressie recipient !!
                (My Naxos full version of D and C was an xmas pressie, as it goes !!)
                Anyway, house is quiet, so its just me and Maurice ......

Edit, in fact no doubt I am a bit of a sad case, but if at about 4 PM on xmas day I am sitting there with a modest pile of new CD's and there is a Saints home game on boxing day, I am happy.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

The Ansermet version, which I still have on the Decca Eclipse LP at just over 50 minutes I bought in the mid-70s, has no equal.

What an extraordinary period that was ! - Daphnis, Jeux, Le Sacre, Le Festin de l'Araignee, Prokofiev PCs 1 % 2, Scriabin Prometheus, Sibelius 4, Elgar 2, the Sea Symphony, Bluebeard's Castle, Pierrot Lunaire, Altenberglieder ...

Comment

• Beef Oven

last one to open them.
                    and they are almost always CD's. They all complain..."don't you want somthing different", but I make it so easy for them...and now that I know, (thanks to FOR3 Forum) that its ok(in fact essential) to have endless versions of the same music, they have no pressure at all. I am the ideal pressie recipient !!
                    (My Naxos full version of D and C was an xmas pressie, as it goes !!)
                    Anyway, house is quiet, so its just me and Maurice ......
                    Yeah, good point - why do people complain when we are the easiest people in the world to buy presents for!? It just goes to show that people buy the presents they want, and they don't really care about what we want!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Yeah, good point - why do people complain when we are the easiest people in the world to buy presents for!? It just goes to show that people buy the presents they want, and they don't really care about what we want!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

although buying for some Board members (Roehre and his 25000 strong collection, for instance) without duplicating , is a fair challenge, I guess.
                        Still , the point remains a good one !!

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

although buying for some Board members (Roehre and his 25000 strong collection, for instance) without duplicating , is a fair challenge, I guess.
                          But where would we be without the godsend that is the Amazon wish list?

(How have we got from the premiere of Daphnis to Christmas in less than 10 messages?)

Comment

• Beef Oven

I disagree. If you check Roehre & Suffolkcoastal's listings they have huge gaps - Beethoven's 5th, Bruch's violin concerto, Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, Ravel's Bolero - plenty of scope for prezzies

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              But where would we be without the godsend that is the Amazon wish list?
                              It has transformed the entire process of keeping family* and friends happy at those 'present-giving' times

(*including self - gone are the ghastly charades that had to accompany present-opening from aunts and others)
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X