• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
    May I say that I think it rather tasteless to be making adverse comments about Melvin Bragg. Surely few have made a greater contribution to the televising of the arts over the past 35 years. Fortunately he is still going strong.
    Lord Barg of Ubiquity is entirely relaxed about any adverse comment he might have received, for Private Eye and others, over the years, I am quite sure.

Comment

• amateur51

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Spelling error now corrected. Apologies to Lord Bragg and Am51.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
          Spelling error now corrected. Apologies to Lord Bragg and Am51.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

"...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Mr Pee
              • Nov 2010

Well, I thought that was a marvellous 2nd Symphony from Jansons and the Concertgebouw. I haven't yet watched Harding's 1st Symphony- (was watching the new South Bank Show- fascinating- such an embarrasment of riches on Sky Arts-) but will catch up with it tomorrow.
              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                Well, I thought that was a marvellous 2nd Symphony from Jansons and the Concertgebouw. I haven't yet watched Harding's 1st Symphony- (was watching the new South Bank Show- fascinating- such an embarrassment of riches on Sky Arts-) but will catch up with it tomorrow.
                I've got the cycle gradually piling up on Sky+, but I haven't watched any of it yet. (Still wading through Delius from last week - and, of course, I had to see the exceptional 56Up, which reached its conclusion on ITV tonight.)

A feast of Mahler to come though!
                Last edited by Guest; 28-05-12, 23:21.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                  Well, I ... was watching the new South Bank Show ... such an embarrasment[sic] ... on Sky Arts ...
                  Now that makes sense.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Now that makes sense.
                    Lord Bragg permitted himself a knowing chuckle as he introduced Sky Arts's resurrection of The South Bank Show from the South Bank. He was standing in front of the National Theatre, whose director Nicholas Hytner was this week's subject, though within seconds he had been teleported to the streets of Manhattan, to preview the opening of Hytner's production of One Man, Two Guvnors on Broadway. The message, from both Bragg and Hytner, was that the arts are vital, they can be massively popular, and they cross frontiers both imaginative and physical.
                    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Alison
                      • Nov 2010

How are we enjoying the performances then ?

Perhaps like me you've dabbled rather than seeing out complete performances ....

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        How are we enjoying the performances then ?

Perhaps like me you've dabbled rather than seeing out complete performances ....
                        I enjoyed Haitink's 9 with the RCO, and have also recorded it.

Comment

• Alison
                          • Nov 2010

Thanks Richard. After all the hoo-ha concerning the format of this series there seems to have
                          little comment on the performances themselves.

I came to rather enjoy the ridiculous diet of two symphonies per night!

Sir Bernard's was definitely the star turn performance, a magnificent Ninth, even though there
                          was much to enjoy elsewhere. Sorry to have missed the Harding first and for once I'm hoping for
                          the normal Sky run of repeated episodes.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Thanks Richard. After all the hoo-ha concerning the format of this series there seems to have
                            little comment on the performances themselves.

I came to rather enjoy the ridiculous diet of two symphonies per night!

Sir Bernard's was definitely the star turn performance, a magnificent Ninth, even though there
                            was much to enjoy elsewhere. Sorry to have missed the Harding first and for once I'm hoping for
                            the normal Sky run of repeated episodes.
                            I'm looking forward to the Blu-rays, with far, far lower data compression of both audio and video.

Comment

• PJPJ
                              • Nov 2010

was much to enjoy elsewhere.
                              I live in hope of a release on RCO Live, together with 7 and 8. Did the RCO perform Mahler-Cooke 10?

Comment

• Mr Pee
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                I'm looking forward to the Blu-rays, with far, far lower data compression of both audio and video.
                                Well, as one who clearly has cloth ears and poor eyesight, and is not a techo-geek, I was more than happy with both audio and video quality in HD. Having watched these on Sky I now do not feel the need to fork out goodness knows how much money to see them again with marginally improved audio and picture quality.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                                X