X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boilk
    • Dec 2010

Nyman Lashes Out

With ROH having turned down a proposed opera by Michael Nyman, he has thrown his toys out of the pram.

Nyman Telegraph article

Good thing too, the last thing 21st century music needs is yet more tonic-dominant-tonic-dominant harmonic oscillations.
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

"Michael Nyman, who wrote the music for 'the Piano' - the newspapers always say. Does anybody agree with me that The Piano was the most boring film ever made? I felt my life draining away as I watched it.

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
      "Michael Nyman, who wrote the music for 'the Piano' - the newspapers always say.
      What gets me even more than that is when he's cited as the composer of "The Piano Concerto". I'd thought that Busoni had done that more than a century ago...

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
        Michael Nyman, he has thrown his toys out of the pram.

Mr Nyman has been throwing so many toys out of his pram these last twenty years I'm amazed he has any left. He still hasn't got over the fact that his only real significance was as a collaborator with the film maker Peter Greenaway - and even then, that his 'best' bits were beguiling versions of Purcell and Mozart.

He's never, as far as I can see, recovered from his acrimonious break up with Peter Greenaway.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          Mr Nyman has been throwing so many toys out of his pram these last twenty years I'm amazed he has any left. He still hasn't got over the fact that his only real significance was as a collaborator with the film maker Peter Greenaway - and even then, that his 'best' bits were beguiling versions of Purcell and Mozart.
          I must protest at this, vinty!

His libretto for Birtwistle's Down By the Greenwood Side was "really significant", too!
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

He also played a mean VCS3 in a performance of Sister Ray at the German Institute around four decades ago.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

prolly just a bit stressed out by QPR's relegation struggle............
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
                Good thing too, the last thing 21st century music needs is yet more tonic-dominant-tonic-dominant harmonic oscillations.

Totally agreed!

Does anybody agree with me that The Piano was the most boring film ever made? I felt my life draining away as I watched it.
                Totally!
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Domeyhead

Going on his pic, Isn't he in Curb Your Enthusiasm?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    He also played a mean VCS3 in a performance of Sister Ray at the German Institute around four decades ago.
                    and "Experimental Music: Cage and Beyond" is an essential text

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      I must protest at this, vinty!

His libretto for Birtwistle's Down By the Greenwood Side was "really significant", too!
                      Great work! I remember seeing it on Brighton West Pier in about 1969 - possibly first performance. I had no idea that Nyman had done the libretto - I thought it was mainly old "mummers'" stuff. I'm sure it was a triple bill with Walton conducting Façade and something by Goehr.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

"Michael Nyman, who wrote the music for 'the Piano' - the newspapers always say. Does anybody agree with me that The Piano was the most boring film ever made? I felt my life draining away as I watched it.
                        Yes.

Comment

Working...
                        X