• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

Berg portraits

an enquiry to the knowledgable of you

if you click through these images

both Manon Gropius and Hanna Fuchs-Robettin are said to be portrayed in the Berg violin concerto
    in fact might HF-R be more associated with the Lyric Suite ?
  • Curalach

Mercia, I'm sure the image caption for HF-R is incorrect. It is indeed the Lyric Suite which she is believed to have inspired.
    I have certainly never heard her mentioned in association with the Violin Concerto which was about Manon Gropius "To the memory of an angel".

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
      Mercia, I'm sure the image caption for HF-R is incorrect. It is indeed the Lyric Suite which she is believed to have inspired.
      I have certainly never heard her mentioned in association with the Violin Concerto which was about Manon Gropius "To the memory of an angel".
      There is strong circumstantial evidence that HF-R is linked with -and portrayed in- the Lyric Suite.
      I've never heard from any relation with the Violin concerto. The Angel is Manon Gropius, Alma Mahler's then 18year old daughter, to whose memory it has been composed.
      The caption is therefore not correct.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Anthony Pople, in his Cambridge Music Guide to the Berg Violin Concerto writes:

... the relevance of this for the Violin Concerto in particular lies in the widespread appearance of Berg's private cyphers in the score of that work also: the numbers 10, 23 and 28, and the initials AB and HF. (page 61)

... the marking "Amoroso" in particular has suggested an association with Hanna Fuchs-Robbetin. (page 63)
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

There are Perles[sic] of wisdom regarding the link between Hanna and the Violin Concerto:

Continuation of Alban Berg's Lulu: Lulu Under Lock and Key. In Frank Wedekind's original plays which Berg based his opera on, the characte...

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

thanks all, and for link

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Having said all that, mercs, your concluding statement was correct: H F-R is "more associated" with the Lyric Suite than with the Vln Conc.

Manon Gropius is the main "Angel" in whose memory the concerto was dedicated, but, like Elgar and Schumann, there are layers and layers. Besides HF-R, there is also Marie Scheuchl (a servant in the Bergs' house in Carinthia - hence the use of the Carinthian folksong, otherwise inexplicable in connection with Manon) and her daughter, whom Berg fathered when he was 17.

EDIT: Apologies, Bryn - Berg's illegitimate daughter is already mentioned in the dickstrawser link you provide in # 5.
              Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 03-05-12, 09:42.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Mmmm. They can't spell Bantock on that gallery site. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/galleries/p00ryccd

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  They can't spell Bantock
                  oh yes, I kept reading that as Bartok

Comment

Working...
                  X