X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • verismissimo
    • Nov 2010

Hummel re-explored: worth it?

I've decided to re-explore Hummel. Or at least the works of his that I have on record:

Double Concerto op17; Septet op74; Piano Concerto op85; Quintet op87; Military Septet op114; 24 Etudes op125; Octet-Partita in E flat; a few other odds and ends on early recordings.

Is he, as history seems to have decided, not quite worth the effort?

Or is he better than that?
  • rauschwerk
    • Nov 2010

As long as one accepts that Hummel is not in the same league as Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven or Schubert, it's possible to find a good deal to enjoy. I can recommend most of the masses, some of the piano trios (a fine Beaux Arts recording seems to be nla at present) and the three string quartets, especially the first.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
      I've decided to re-explore Hummel. ....

Is he, as history seems to have decided, not quite worth the effort?
      Or is he better than that?

... O I think there's a lot of really good stuff in Hummel*. I think the two CDs of his piano trios with voces intimae on warner are quite wonderful. And the couple of piano sonatas with Malcolm Binns, on decca explore.

* I must do: I seem to have twenty CDs of Hummel

Comment

• umslopogaas
        • Nov 2010

I seem to have accumulated quite a lot of recordings of Hummel over the years, without making any particular effort to do so. I particularly like a L' Oiseau Lyre LP of the Septet (Op 74) and Quintet (Op 87), played by the Melos Ensemble. And every trumpeter seems to have recorded the trumpet concerto, I've got at least four recordings. He's enjoyable and undemanding on the ear, but not very profound.

Comment

• verismissimo
          • Nov 2010

Thanks for the advice, all.

I just invested in the Binns sonatas and in this Naxos chamber CD with famous HIPPers:

I particularly enjoy the Quintet in E flat op87 played by the Melos Ensemble (of blessed memory).

And I do have the trumpet concerto, of course, played by various artists.

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

I have a nice period instrument version of the Quintet Op.87 issued in 2001 by ASV Gaudeamus. I think it was also the coupling on Hausmusik's "Trout" CD for EMI Reflexe.

Comment

• aeolium
              • Nov 2010

I particularly enjoy the Quintet in E flat op87 played by the Melos Ensemble (of blessed memory).
              Yes indeed

I also liked the piano concertos performed by Stephen Hough and the ECO under Bryden Thomson.

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

I have just re-listened to the previously mentioned Gaudeamus CD - it also includes the Trio in E flat for violin, cello and piano op.12. It has a lovely cheerful last presto movement - convincing me that yes, Hummel is indeed "worth it".

Comment

• Jonathan
                  • Mar 2007

I've got Stephen Hough's Sonata recording on Hyperion and it's excellent! You might find it cheap on MDT at the moment as they are having a sale on Hyperion (which ends tomorrow, IIRC).
                  Best regards,
                  Jonathan

Comment

• Rolmill
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                    I also liked the piano concertos performed by Stephen Hough and the ECO under Bryden Thomson.
                    Yes, this is a terrific Chandos disc which deservedly won a Gramophone Award back in the late '80s. I also have an attractive Naxos disc of piano concertante works very well played by Christopher Hinterhuber. Naxos have served Hummel pretty well over the years. I have always had a soft spot for the Bassoon Concerto, which Naxos couple with other wind-based works on a nicely satisfying disc.

There's a lot of chamber music, some already mentioned (the Beaux Arts piano trios are delightful, I agree). I can also recommend a lovely disc of Piano Septets played by Capricorn, now I believe on Hyperion's budget Helios label.

His masses are also well worth exploring - I just sang the Mass in B flat over Easter, which contains some wonderful harmonies and modulations as well as the expected graceful tunefulness. Hickox recorded this and other masses very well for Chandos. Naxos also recorded the substantial Missa Solemnis a few years ago, under the stylish direction of Uwe Grodd.

So yes, as you can perhaps gather, I do believe Hummel's music is well worth the effort - most is tuneful and charming, with just enough surprises to ward off the blandness of which he is sometimes (IMO falsely) accused.

Comment

• rauschwerk
                      • Nov 2010

The trumpet concerto was largely forgotten until André Previn featured it in a TV programme called Fidelio Finke, where are you now? Howard Snell played the concerto and the programme also featured Korngold's fiddle concerto.

The Op.87 piano quintet (1802 but not published for 20 years) is allegedly in E flat major but is really in E flat minor. This is a most difficult key for the bowed instruments and I would guess that that, combined with the many notes in the piano part, accounted for the delay in publication ("It'll never sell, my dear Hummel" is my imagined reaction of publishers). It uses the instrumental lineup that Schubert later used in the 'Trout' quintet. The first movement has a particularly interesting three-key exposition. Just when you think he is going to G flat (relative major of home key) for the second subject, he sidesteps to the highly unexpected A major. We have to wait until the third subject for the conventional key. This kind of thing surely influenced Schubert (for example in his Allegro in A minor for piano duet).

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
                        Yes, this is a terrific Chandos disc which deservedly won a Gramophone Award back in the late '80s.

His masses are also well worth exploring - I just sang the Mass in B flat over Easter, which contains some wonderful harmonies and modulations as well as the expected graceful tunefulness. Hickox recorded this and other masses very well for Chandos. Naxos also recorded the substantial Missa Solemnis a few years ago, under the stylish direction of Uwe Grodd.
                        The Chandos 30 Anniversary box has two Hummel discs - both Gramophone Award winners and both very enjoyable - two masses and two piano concertos with Hough.

Comment

• Jonathan
                          • Mar 2007

Some of Hummel's piano sonatas were also recorded on Hyperion by Stephen Hough - a thoroughly enjoyable disc! You may even be able to get it cheap as MDT are having a sale on Hyperion titles (although, IIRC it's finishing tomorrow!)
                          Best regards,
                          Jonathan

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
                            Yes, this is a terrific Chandos disc which deservedly won a Gramophone Award back in the late '80s. I also have an attractive Naxos disc of piano concertante works very well played by Christopher Hinterhuber. Naxos have served Hummel pretty well over the years. I have always had a soft spot for the Bassoon Concerto, which Naxos couple with other wind-based works on a nicely satisfying disc.

There's a lot of chamber music, some already mentioned (the Beaux Arts piano trios are delightful, I agree). I can also recommend a lovely disc of Piano Septets played by Capricorn, now I believe on Hyperion's budget Helios label.

So yes, as you can perhaps gather, I do believe Hummel's music is well worth the effort - most is tuneful and charming, with just enough surprises to ward off the blandness of which he is sometimes (IMO falsely) accused.
                            Maybe that Hough record goes under the "worth another listen" label. I remember being amazed by how shallow the music seemed marvellously as it was played .

Comment

Working...
                            X