X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton
    • Sep 2024

Harnoncourt

He expressed some fairly salty opinions in the course of a fascinating interview with Suzy Klein. George Szell - lucky he didn't kill him. American orchestras - terrified of making mistakes, where's the music. Erich Kleiber - "father of Carlos Kleiber - the real Kleiber" [Eric, that is...]. Schubert 8 - "I cannot die every day" (things he performs only rarely). Worth a listen if you missed it.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

ear grabbing in the extreme, what a privilege to hear him speak freely and well done Ms Klein for getting it just right

well worth hearing again
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

... this was excellent. O how I love him!

Comment

• Anna

As someone without a Radio Times - when was this programme on, link please?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          Voilà Madame: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...s_Harnoncourt/

I shall listen to the podcast.
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            ... Anna - this was 'Music Matters' at 12:15pm today -

Suzy Klein presents a rare interview with Austrian conductor Nikolaus Harnoncourt.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Queen Anna now has two cloaks upon which to step across the puddle of insufficient information.

Wot gents we is, vints me old mate
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Queen Anna now has two cloaks upon which to step across the puddle of insufficient information.
                Wot gents we is, vints me old mate
                Fank you, you is both werry fine young gennulmen, werry fine indeed, and I will forthwith step across the proffered cloaks into the unknown and listen.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Pardon me for getting in between you two .

Why doesn't Suzy Klein do programmes like that more often? It took me back to the good old days when we had a radio channel called Radio 3 and talks were intelligent, slightly provocative without creeping to your subject, wistful yet fresh.

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

One of the most fascinating interviews I've heard in a long time - my only regret is that it was only 45 minutes! There was a very humble quality about Harnoncourt that I found really touching.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                      Pardon me for getting in between you two .

Why doesn't Suzy Klein do programmes like that more often? It took me back to the good old days when we had a radio channel called Radio 3 and talks were intelligent, slightly provocative without creeping to your subject, wistful yet fresh.

Let's hope that SK and her producer take note - PRAISE OVER HERE, Suzy K - more of the same please

Comment

• Vile Consort
                        • Nov 2010

Very interesting - what a nice chap he seems to be.

What exactly did he report Klemperer saying about Szell? I couldn't catch it despite repeated listening.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                          • Nov 2010

He needs to get his 'facts right' about the Chicago ( and other USA symphony orchestras) and their brass sections.
                          It is NOT correct to say that those brass sections use 'shorter tubes' or 'shorter instruments' ( compared to the Viennese orchestras).
                          The horn sections of the CSO, NYPO and Cleveland Orchestra for at least the last 50 years have used double horns in F and B flat. In the USA there has always ( for those 50 years) been an emphasis on using the F horn ( 12 feet long) as the 'basic' instrument, using the shorter Bb 'side' only for the high octave and a half.

Ironically the VPO and VSO horns in the 1950s-1960s when required to do anything remotely 'difficult' have always resorted to the 'short' ( 6 foot) F horn for greater accuracy, e.g. the legendary Gottfried von Freiberg playing Mendelssohn's 'Nocturne', or the (Decca) Vienna Octet's recording of the Spohr octet, whose 1st horn Josef Veleba used a Vienna horn crooked in A ( shorter tube) rather than the 13 foot E horn specified by the composer.
                          Today's superb horn players of the VPO play anything and everything on their Vienna horns crooked in ( 'long', 12 feet) F!
                          Last edited by Tony Halstead; 17-04-12, 08:51. Reason: Tautology

Comment

• Pegleg
                            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Vile Consort View Post
                            Very interesting - what a nice chap he seems to be.

What exactly did he report Klemperer saying about Szell? I couldn't catch it despite repeated listening.
                            "Szell? .. Forget him" ( at 12.03min on listen again)

I don't think I'll be forgetting Nikolaus Harnoncourt.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Pegleg View Post
                              "Szell? .. Forget him" ( at 12.03min on listen again)

I don't think I'll be forgetting Nikolaus Harnoncourt.
                              I won't forget Harnoncourt or Szell, they've both given such pleasure for so long...

I recall Rattle saying of Szell and the Clevelanders once -"a conductor and orchestra who actually believed that perfection is possible"...

I gathered he did not entirely approve of such a concept... that "perfection" may best be viewed as an ever-receding goal...

Comment

Working...
                              X