• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russ_H
    • Mar 2012

Introduction

Evening All,

Having lurked for a few months, I've decided to make my first post.

I've just returned from a recital at The Sage, Gateshead, given by the Brodsky Quartet.
    It was an interesting programme: Wolf's Italian Serenade; Webern's Langsamer Satz; and
    Korngold's second quartet. After the interval, there was Schubert's Death and the Maiden.

This is probably the best musical event that I've ever attended.

The thought of Webern might worry some listeners, but this is a delightful composition. If
    you have not heard the Korngold, I strongly recommend it. I already new this work from
    the Doric Quartet's Chandos recording, but it was even better live. The Schubert is one
    of my favourite pieces, and it was well received.

Regards,

Russ
  • Curalach

Welcome Russ,

Sounds like a splendid programme. The Brodsky's are a fine quartet. They play regularly in Glasgow at the Royal Conservatoire where they give masterclasses for the students in addition to public concerts.
    The Sage is a concert hall I look forward to visiting some time.
    I look forward to your further contributions to the forum.

Iain

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Hello, Russ_H!

Why do I know of this concert? Was it broadcast?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• hackneyvi

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Hello, Russ_H!

Why do I know of this concert? Was it broadcast?
        I have an idea it was mentioned on the breakfast programme today - was either Rob Cowen or the Your Choice guest going to the gig?

Hello, Russ.

I went to a chamber concert last summer - Haydn, Beethoven, Tippet and Anthony Payne - and felt the same way as you. I'm quite often left a little unmoved by live music but the Tippett Quartet played at a basement club in East London during the Spitalfields festival, the pieces were played without an interval and the whole evening was really gripping and spirited. Welcome.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Russ_H View Post
          Evening All,

I've just returned from a recital at The Sage, Gateshead, given by the Brodsky Quartet.
          It was an interesting programme: Wolf's Italian Serenade; Webern's Langsamer Satz; and
          Korngold's second quartet. After the interval, there was Schubert's Death and the Maiden.

The thought of Webern might worry some listeners, but this is a delightful composition. If
          you have not heard the Korngold, I strongly recommend it. I already new this work from
          the Doric Quartet's Chandos recording, but it was even better live. The Schubert is one

Regards,

Russ
          Welcome, Russ! If you fancy some more Webern, the other compositions for String Quartet are equally rewarding, and there are fine collections from the LaSalle Quartet, or the Leipzigers, the Juilliards and the Ardittis...

I don't think I've ever heard any of it live though...

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            and there are fine collections from the LaSalle Quartet
            And another one for Russ, if he views Webern with trepidation, is Im Sommerwind. (I think that at 12 minutes it's his longest(?) work )

Yes, the LaSalles collection of Second Viennese School string quartets is a delightful introduction to the music of Schoenberg, Berg and Webern. It's 4CDs and the Amazon marketplace has them for £9.02p at the moment (new, dispatched from the UK) ...
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Russ_H View Post
              Evening All,

Regards,

Russ

Good to read that Russ, and good to see you coming on board after 'lurking'

What caught my eye in your post was the Webern 'Langsamer Satz' - what a hidden gem that is, it's gorgeous isn't it! I envy you having heard a performance of that, I've never heard it live.

And I know and love quite a bit of out-of-the-way Korngold but not that string quartet: thank you for the tip, I shall look out for it.

Welcome and keep posting
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Russ_H
                • Mar 2012

I'd like to thank everyone for the warm welcome I have received.

If you have not been to The Sage, it is well worth a visit. Many players comment
                on the quality of the acoustics. In addition to the musical attractions, the whole
                quayside area of Gateshead and Newcastle has been updated.

You may be aware of the Millennium Bridge, which is very impressive: in the last
                few weeks the protective pilings in the river have been removed, and the view
                has been greatly improved.

Twin cities celebrate as vast and ugly maritime bollards are removed from the approach to the graceful span across the Tyne. Alan Sykes dances a Quayside jig

Comment

Working...
                X